Cold Drafty Room, Insulated underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Living room in a 1930's semi has always been one of the coldest in the house and there always seems to be a draft. I was convinced this was coming from the hallway or fireplace.

I checked and it soon became apparent that the draft was coming from inside the room. I'm now think it's from underneath the floor which is boarded an carpeted.

The room has a bay and has three air bricks for ventilation under the floor boards. The area next to the bay seems to be the coldest and has the most draft.

I'm looking at trying to insulate under the carpet and possibly sealing the gap between the skirting board and floorboards.

Any suggestions on what is the best way of doing this or alternatively other options.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cold footed of Birmingham
:D

Sponsored Links
Take up the carpet and lay hard board, then go around the skirting and seal any gaps, then relay the carpet. Job done!

Andy

Thanks for the advice HERTS.

Would you recommend laying the hardboard over the existing underlay or straight onto the boards?

Any particular thickness of hardboard?

Would you recommend to staple to the boards or leave it free floating? What about the carpet grippers?

I've seen this therma foil type underlay too, is it worth using it?

Sponsored Links
Take up the carpet and underlay, remove the gripper around the edge of the room. Lay hardboard down edge to edge and fix down with screws/staples, not longer than the hardboard and floorboards put together. Then go around the room and fill where the floor meets the skirting board, you can use silicone for this. Then refit the gripper and relay the underlay and carpet.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back