Cold electric shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an 18 month old Showerforce 8.5kW electric shower which up until last night has been doing it's job just fine.

Daughter switched it off via the double pole pull cord switch last night, rather than the phased shutdown on the shower itself - now it won't deliver hot water...

Any suggestions what may be wrong?

TIA
Gav

Sponsored Links
Are you getting power to the unit? if not check the MCB and RCD if fitted.
Pete

The pull cord power light comes on - is that how I should check power is getting to the unit?

There is an MCB and RCD - what should I be checking for on them?

sorry for the daft questions!

If the pullcord light is on your MCB/RCD are fine.
Is there a light on the unit itself?
P

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the standby light comes on on the unit. There's two dials on the unit:

Power: which has Off, Cold Medium & High.

Temp: 1 - 10.

Regardless of the whether power setting is on Cold, Medium or High, the water's still cold.

G

Sounds like the heating element has gone.
How often was the shower used 18 mths is not v long except in a high traffic bathroom.
You may find it cheaper to replace the unit rather than a repair.
I believe shower force are available from B&Q.
Pete

Twice a day, only recently 2-3 times a day.

I did wonder if a repair would be cost effective, depending on the cause - maybe not then.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Gav

Any elec shower I have ever bought lasts no longer than 2 years. Built-in obselesence I reckon. That and hard water. Get a new one, but don't buy an expensive one as it won't last. IMO

Manufacturers have now told me that due to the symptoms (the reduce temperature light is illuminating) it's the 2 stage thermal cut out which needs replacing. Worth a try as it's only a tenner...

Gav

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back