"Cold" Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating and hot water system has worked ok over the winter period. Up to about 1 week ago there has been sufficient capacity within the hot water cylinder to cope with at least 3 baths and be ok for the morning. However, over the last week we have had to use the immersion heater as the hot water has been "cold". Tonight the hot water was very hot, but after two shallow baths there was not enough hot water for a bigger bath - wife very p****ed.

I have checked by hand the temperature of the heating inlet/outlet of the cylinder but the outlet seems to be reasonably hot/warm. However, when I have needed the immersion on the outlet has been cold.

I do not know if this helps, but the base of the cylinder is quite cold. There is no additional insulation on the cylinder. The hot and cold feeder tank are both full of water.

I think I have a standard vented hot water / central heating system. I do not have a valve to redirect flow, and I appreciate that the system tends to favour the central heating over the hot water. The rads are thermostatically controlled to about 2-3, the wall thermostat is set to about 15o and the boiler is set to about 4/5 out of 6.

Can anyone advise as to what might be happening

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back