cold radiator - tried everything - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi boiler system in my house. All the radiators are boiling hot except for upstairs 2nd bedroom which is stone cold. I have bled at the top and there is no trapped air. The valve on the right hand bottom side has a +/- knob and I have turned it to the max plus. The valve on the left hand side is all metal and had a square top. On all other radiators in the house - this valve turns but won't on this rad - the metal has now worn away to make it rounded and I cannot try to turn any more with a spanner. I don't even know if this is the problem! What should I do? :oops:

Sponsored Links
Why not call a plumber who should be able to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it for you?

Tony

yeah, but i thought this was a forum which would offer me a cheap option!

is the reason why you have so many posts because you reply to everything and offer no solutions?!

:confused:

I can only offer a solution when the information is sufficient.

In your case it needs plumbing work to investigate whats wrong.

My suggestion of calling a plumber will get it working for you.

If you want to solve it yourself then you could start by replaceing the valve which you cannot turn! But I am sure you did not need me to tell you that!

Tony

Sponsored Links
You might find out whether the lockshield valve (the one you can't turn) is open or closed as follows:

Shut the other valve fully. I'm assuming it is not a thermostatic valve. (if it is these can stick shut and cause problem stated)

Bleed the radiator.

If lockshield valve is open air/water will continue to come out of radiator.
If not it air/water will stop after a short while as pressure in rad drops. Towel is handy for catching water.

If lockshield is shut then that is your problem with the rad not heating. You might be able to open it with a pair of vicegrip pliers clamped firmly on the spindle and turned counter clockwise. If not you will need to drain down system and replace the valve. Plenty of advice on that on this site if you search.

If lockshield is open then likely your radiator is sludged up. Again plenty of posts on what to do on this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back