cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The radiator in my girlfriends bathroom is cold and has been for a while now, maybe 12 months!. She has a combi boiler and TRV's on all radiators. Took the the head off the trv on the cold rad and tried to free up the valve but to no avail. My next thing to do is to turn off all the other rads and try and force the blockage through but if this doesnt work i think i may need to flush the system. Whats the best way to flush a pressurised system?

Sponsored Links
Took the the head off the trv on the cold rad and tried to free up the valve but to no avail.

Does that mean that the pin is still stuck and you have no up or down movement on it? If thats the case then you're not trying hard enough. The pin will move eventually wit a few DISCREET taps!

If the pin moves up and down freely then try and force it through, but i gather you have tried this method. So...

If the pin is moving then then you can try giving the valve body a tap to freen the mechanism. if that doesn't work then its a new valve.

If the pin does not move then try a little harder to free it.

At worst case senario you could always ask the girlfriend to live with you in your nice warm house? That would save you alot of hassle with the TRV.

On second thoughts, get her a new heating system its cheaper!! lol

At worst case senario you could always ask the girlfriend to live with you in your nice warm house?
wife might not be too happy though :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Does that mean that the pin is still stuck and you have no up or down movement on it? If thats the case then you're not trying hard enough. The pin will move eventually wit a few DISCREET taps

when i removed the head i actually pulled the pin out! and then put it back in immediatley as there was water coming out, so not sure if this means that the valve is operating ok or whether it still may be stuck?

At worst case senario you could always ask the girlfriend to live with you in your nice warm house? That would save you alot of hassle with the TRV.

no thanks! i like the fact that i can escape to the tempory sanctitude of my nice warm bathroom! :D

i have the feeling that it may be a sludge issue but would like some more views on this and how to go about a flush on a pressurised system
thanks

Sponsored Links
ok. tried to force the blockage through by turning off all the other rads and leaving the blocked one open, this had the effect of sending the boiler into lockout! any ideas why this would happen? is the blockage that bad? anyway, has anybody got any ideas how i can sort this problem out? thanks

OK try this.

Turn off both the valves on the cold radiator.. and slightly loosen of the nuts and drain the entire radiator water into a little dish.

Ok, now you can take off the radiator..

Put a bucket next to both the valves and slowly open them.. are you gettin water through them??

If so..

Is your radiator heavy?.. It may be blocked, so flush it through with a hose pipe.

Remember to use lots of dustsheets.
It sounds alot of hassle but won't even take an hour!

Do this and return saying where your at, we'll go from there :)

Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back