cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in our hall has not worked since we moved here nearly 3 years ago. The other radiators work fine. I've bled the radiator (water sprayed out instantly) but it made no difference. I've noticed that when the other rads are hot, the pipes to the cold rad are also cold, so I'm assuming the hot water is somehow being preventing from getting to the radiator.

Is there anything else very very simple that a diy-dunce like me could try to fix it before calling in the pros?

Sponsored Links
have you checked the radiator valves to make sure they're open enough?

you could have two lockshield valves or one lock shield and one thermostatic.

take the plastic cap off, mark the valves current position and use an adjustable spanner to move the valve open and shut a touch, if it's screwed down tight then it's been shut off.

And if you've got a thermostatic valve then it could be siezed shut.
there are instructions about on the forum / wiki for freeing them up,
usually involves unscrewing the thermostatic plastic cap and ensuring the pin on the valve moves freely up and down.

if they're shut / siezed that would prevent it flowing and your pipes would be cold with standing water in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back