Cold radiators Microbore system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with a cold radiator problem. I fitted a new bathroom radiator having drained down the system first. When I refilled the system only the upstairs radiators came on. I called out a plumber who diagnosed that the system needed powerflushing. (It's an 8mm microbore system). He did the powerflush (Cost £450) but now I have three of the upstairs radiators not working. The plumber says that when I drained down the system I must have disturbed some muck which is now blocking one of the manifolds which will need to be located and cleaned out. However we have no idea where they might be and I thought the Powerflush should have done the job anyway. The plumber charges by the hour and says it could take a long time for him to find the manifold in question and with fitted carpets & chipboard floors it will also be very disruptive. Is there any alternative to what he is suggesting? Another Powerflush is apparently out of the question.

Sponsored Links
8mm microbore pipe is not really 100% suitable for powerflushing, as I would point out to any potential customer. It could have stirred up some debris when you drained down. Did he get much out of your system when powerflushing?

Why is another powerflush out of the question? Cost or did he tell you so?

When flushing did he keep reversing the flow every 15 mins or so to help relaes any debris/blockages. Did he use a good cleansing chemical?

Assuming you have an open vented system did he go in the loft and physically clean out your header tank? If not when he re-filled system it would just fill up with the c*** in there.

If i got charged 450quid and it didnt solve the problem ill be damned if i am going to pay him anymore. I know its not going to help m8, but 8mm bore while you hardly see the pipework is simply a pain in the ass. More prone to air locks and blockages. What i would suggest is perhaps remove the rads one by one upstairs, take them outside and stick a hose into them and flush each rad out. If that doesnt work remove the TRV's and lockshields and give them a blow through also.

Have you tried the basics. H/W off, heating on, pump on full, turn all rads off except one that does not work see if water pushes through.

if you bleed these 3 rads do you get air/water out?

Sponsored Links
You have paid him to flush system to get rads working he has failed to do this get him back without further expense to you to get it working. Power flushing twin entry micro bore doesn`t work for clearing rads but can clear manifolds but best to cut out and clean manifolds

gotta agree with welsh and nam

if he charge you that money to sort it and he hasnt then its HIS problem

mind you micro bore is a c u next tuesday to flush

:)

gas4you said:
8mm microbore pipe is not really 100% suitable for powerflushing, as I would point out to any potential customer. It could have stirred up some debris when you drained down. Did he get much out of your system when powerflushing?

Why is another powerflush out of the question? Cost or did he tell you so?

When flushing did he keep reversing the flow every 15 mins or so to help relaes any debris/blockages. Did he use a good cleansing chemical?

Assuming you have an open vented system did he go in the loft and physically clean out your header tank? If not when he re-filled system it would just fill up with the c*** in there.

He got quite a lot out with the Powerflush. He advised not to do it again as it would weaken the joints too much. I've just checked the header tank and there's still C*** in the bottom. Don't know if he reversed the flow at all but he did use decent chemicals. I'm trying to get him to come back and sort it as I don't think I should pay £450 and end up with three cold radiators.

WelshMan said:
If i got charged 450quid and it didnt solve the problem ill be damned if i am going to pay him anymore. I know its not going to help m8, but 8mm bore while you hardly see the pipework is simply a pain in the ass. More prone to air locks and blockages. What i would suggest is perhaps remove the rads one by one upstairs, take them outside and stick a hose into them and flush each rad out. If that doesnt work remove the TRV's and lockshields and give them a blow through also.

Thanks for this, If I can't get him back to sort the problem I'll start with the basics (turn off all the working radiators and leave one non working one on etc) and then move on to your suggestion as a next step.

gas4you said:
Have you tried the basics. H/W off, heating on, pump on full, turn all rads off except one that does not work see if water pushes through.

if you bleed these 3 rads do you get air/water out?

If I bleed the rads I get clean water out (no air). I'll try the basics next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back