COLD water air lock in upstairs bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing my bath, so have drained down the water, removed the bath, and capped the hot and cold water bath pipes with push fit stop ends.

When I refill the system, no water comes out of the basin cold tap or toilet ball valve. Hot water is fine.

Previously, when the CWS tank has run dry (too many baths/showers etc.), the way to clear the airlock has been to run the bath cold tap. Obviously I can't do this now as it's capped. If I'd remembered I'd have put an isolating valve on and run some hosepipe out of the window. But I didn't remember :oops:

I could drain down the CWS tank again, but no doubt there's some water in the pipes which would come hurtling out when I popped the cap off.

Is there an alternative?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Place hand under bath mixer and turn on hot and cold water taps (on bath mixer) You should do this for at these 30 seconds. Make sure you fill up the toilet cistern with water via a bucket first.

Then turn off both taps and remove your hand, turn on cold water tap on bath and see if the water runs.

While doing the bath mixer hand job, make sure all other taps are closed.

Andy

Bath mixers been removed along with the bath & supply pipework capped.

Perhaps kitchen mixer's a better bet.

That will only help with the hot side, you want to sort out the cold.
You can either run a hose from your kitchen cold up to your basin cold and push a bit of water through, or use a vacuum hose on the basin cold to try and suck some through. Not too much if it's a normal vac obviously, a wet vac is ideal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Soooey. basin mixer's a better bet! or if its pillar taps and you've no wet vac, get your lips around the spout and suck the water through, or gaffer tap a bit of hose pipe to spout and suck.

Thanks for all the replies - hosepipe from kitchen cold tap did the trick.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back