Cold water tank fills with hot, then overflows

It's not rocket science.
Isolate every hot pipe that attaches to any mixer. If it stops which it will you only have to open them one at a time to find the culprit.
It HAS to be where hot meets cold and is simply a process off elimination.
Jeff

Sponsored Links
I appreciate it isn't rocket science. But the reason I'm asking all this stuff is because you know considerably more about it than I do.

I know it's a process of elimination, so could you confirm that if non-return valves have been fitted to a mixer then that eliminates that mixer from the equation, assuming they're correctly fitted?

Yes and assuming they are not made in a chinese labour camp and faulty.
A lot of imports are of a very poor quality.
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Just for the benefit of anyone else who has this problem, it did indeed turn out to be mixer tap related - and in fact it was more than one mixer that was the problem.

I hadn't troubleshot it properly in the first place because I had tried to isolate the mixer causing the problem by turning them off one by one. This didn't work - no matter which one was turned off it kept overflowing. But then I turned off the supply to all of the mixers at once and turned them back on by one. This revealed that two of the mixers were responsible (kitchen tap and en-suite shower). After fitting non-return valves to both of those mixers, the problem was solved.

I still don't understand why it should have started happening simply as a result of the water being turned on and off a few times, with no change to any of the taps, but it did.

Thanks to Jeff and all who replied. You were right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back