Coloured exterior wood paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a house that is half covered in black painted clapperboards. We are thinking of trying a different colour :rolleyes:
So a couple of questions, I will give the black a sand and general clean up, but do i need to use an undercoat? She is looking at a colour from the Sadolin four seasons garden range.
The under coat seems more expensive than the actual paint!
If/when we decide we dont like this new paint can you recommend a generally available black matt paint to re do the house.

Regards

Ed

Sponsored Links
Almost safe to say if you are painting a lighter colour over black then an undercoat is essential to give you a chance of obliterating the black from showing through.

Agree with the first answer. Nothing darker than black so an undercoat will be needed.

Isn't the Sadolin Four Seasons range only a combined stain/preservative for colouring garden timber and furniture rather than a paint system that requires an undercoat? :confused: If so, then it won't take over undercoat, let alone the existing black paint.

If you do change colour and then decide to revert back to black then you could use International Matt Black which is readily available. I've used it several times on modern houses that have mock Tudor style cladding and it covers and lasts well. I think it is available as a one coat system now so bare wood should only need knotting and priming.

Sponsored Links
Ed

If you are looking for a change in colour there is a product available that could well solve your problems, however it will only offer an opaque finish as opposed to matt. Take a look at Sadolin Superdec, this is a self priming paint system that will offer you good results.

However if a drastic change in colour is required the application of an undercoat would be of benefit, as I said take a look and let us now your thoughts.

Dec

Thanks all,

misterhelpful your right about the sadolin four seasons, I have discounted that. I will try the International Matt Black if needed.

TheDec Sadolin Superdec looks ideal. We do want to at least tray nad change colour completly, from like I say black to a light blue/grey colour. I just need to get ready with the black when she hates it hehe.

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back