Colron danish oil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong. Colron danish oil .
I followed instructions but it's still tacky.
Plz help

Sponsored Links
you put it on too thick.

clean it off with white spirit before it gets even more tacky.

Thank you.
When I clean it off should I put another coat on because I want it darker.
Allso do I need to put a varnish over it or will it just dry completely.?

As said, you put to much oil on.
Unless the oil is coloured it wont make the wood much darker.
The way I apply Danish oil & I do it twice a year to my worktops, If there is no heavy staining I use wire wool all over, clean off with white spirit, let it dry, poor oil sparingly, use a lint free clothe (you can get these cheaply on Ebay) & spread the oil over the surface, after 10 mins wipe again, there should be no puddles, allow to dry (5hrs) & repeat, do this as many times as you want to.
This is the sort of job that puts the kitchen a little out of action, so timing is important.

Sponsored Links
Just to verify, you don't/cant varnish Danish oil, but will need to redo it as per Diyisfuns instructions every few months to keep the water out of the worktop.

If you want it darker, you need to use Colron or similar wood dye on before the oil.

It is possible to rub dye on before you re-oil it next time, I have done it on external timber where I use linseed oil, but that was after sanding and cleaning it with white spirit.

Just to verify, you don't/cant varnish Danish oil, but will need to redo it as per Diyisfuns instructions every few months to keep the water out of the worktop.
OP has not mentioned worktop , could be doors or other .

OP has not mentioned worktop , could be doors or other .
Anything to increase a post count.
As I got a thanks, I reckon it was worktop, maybe if you were the first to reply, it would have been a valid point. No harm done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back