Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Two questions.

1)
I have a column archway separating a room, approximate size of

15x9Ft 6x9Ft
[ ][ ]

What the standard practice for wiring the room's'?

Would you treat them as two separate rooms and have them switched on independently from one another? Via two way lighting

Or

Would you treat them as one room and have them switched on together? Via two way lighting

2)

Where's the correct position to install a smoke detector when it incorporates a column archway in a room like above?

Would it need to be fixed to the under side of the pillar to detect any smoke equally occurring, from either side of the archway?

Many thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Re l;light switching.

You can do either. It depends on how you plan to use the space(s). If you have two separate circuits then you can light and use them separately.
Its your choice.

Re smoke alatrm positioning. There are places to avoid as they are "dead" zones for the alarm. Under the pillar would be a dead zone as smoke will/may gather in the ceiling spaces first.
This is an excellent guide
http://www.kiddesafetyeurope.co.uk/utcfs/ws-401/Assets/0910 EN14604 Manual.pdf
although most alarms include installation instructions.

If the two areas are being used as two different rooms, have them lighted off of to different switches and depending on where you can enter and leave these areas would determine whether a two way function was needed.
As far as smoke alarms, what purpose do these areas serve?
You could install a smoke alarm in each room.

Both sections will be used as a living room area.

I quite like the function, of being able to switch both lights off independently,from either end of the two areas, so I will have it done that way.

Would you wire it like...

2X 2G (2Way) Switches, one switch, either end of the two areas.

0ne gang of the two switches, to operate the light in the one section, one gang on the two switches, to operate the light in the other section.

2x 1.5mm 3core+E (Strappers) between the two switches)
1x 1.5mm T+E (Permanent feed between the two lights)
2X 1.5mm T+E (Permanent live/Switch live) to the light,from there corresponding switches.

Sponsored Links
A little more clarity as to entrances/exits of these areas would be needed, if you wished to locate switching positions in practical, functional, suitable locations.
As it stands from the information given, all that is known of these rooms/areas is that there is an archway between them.
Are there any other points of entry/exits to either room.
Ideally you would want to be able to switch on the room you are entering and switch off the room you are exiting at nearby points or on the same gang switch.
So if there is another entrance to say room "A", you would require at least a single gang two way switch at that point, then you could have a two gang two way switch between these two areas ("A and B") located near the archway, for switching room "A" on and off and room "B" on/off.
If there was then another entry/exit point to say room "B" you would then require a single gang two way switch to operate the light in that room.
There are various methods of wiring lighting circuits, if you look in Wiki you can find a lot of information on this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:intermediate.
As far as the cable sizes are concerned this is dependant on method and route of cables, the load and fuse rating.
In a lighting circuits generally you would get away with using a 6A MCB protecting a twin & earth and three core and earth 1.0mm CSA cable, with a circuit maximum load of 1380 watts.
A circuit of 1.5mm CSA cable could be installed,using a 16A MCB as a the protective device, offering a maximum load of 3680 watts.
But I would stick to the same size CSA as the existing lighting circuit, that your are connecting to.
The load could be higher with diversity calculations.

Both sections will be used as a living room area.

I quite like the function, of being able to switch both lights off independently,from either end of the two areas, so I will have it done that way.
OK

Would you wire it like...
Just tell your electrician where you want switches, and which lights you want each one to do.

He'll sort out the cabling needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back