Com Port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a USB adapter and installed it as per instructions. However I keep getting the error message..........

"Fail to open Com Port. last error :the system cannot find the file specified."

I have designated Com 1 but no joy. Does anyone know why this is happening please?

Sponsored Links
In device manager what comm port does it list for that device ? I would wager it isn't Com 1

EDIT: can you tell us what the USB device is ?

Hi Boxcleva

In Ports ( COM & LPT) it says Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COM 1) and the USB device is a USB SERIAL ADAPTOR which I have installed the drivers that came with the disc.

Any ideas how to configure my USB port as COM port for RS232 communication pls,

I had this problem myself a while ago and i can't remember how i fixed it but have a read of this and see if it works. are you using Vista because that's what OS i had the problem with.

Sponsored Links
I'd try uninstalling the stuff you installed from the CD and just plugging it in to vista and see if vista auto-detects it.

I doubt that would matter as the BIOS will only affect a com port if it is on the motherboard, a USB one is external.
Can you go to device manager and see if there are any yellow triangles?
Also have a look in the Ports (Com & LPT) to see if something else is using Com 1.

I am getting a yellow triangle by my SM Bus Controller and it says there is no driver installed.

What is a SM Controller and where would I find a driver? :confused:

I am getting a yellow triangle by my SM Bus Controller and it says there is no driver installed.

What is a SM Controller and where would I find a driver? :confused:

If you are in device manager, right click the SM controller, and allow the internet to find and install a driver.

Sponsored Links
Back