combi boiler clearance with vertical flue

haf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get a few quotes for a new combi boiler (worcester 30cdi probably) and wanted to get my facts straight to ensure i don't get fed incorrect information. I want the new boiler to be installed on a external wall in my attached garage with a vertical flue as there is nothing above the garage. The gap between the external garage wall and next doors wall is only about 30cm and i wanted to confirm that if i have a vertical flue then the clearance to the side is irrelevant and i just need to meet the reqts for clearance around the vertical flue. I've checked the 30Cdi installation guide and believe i'm correct but a local plumber reckons i still need 600mm clearance to the side (i'm dubious about his credentials but he happened to be around so i asked)

Sponsored Links
An interesting point;

The reason for the distance to the boundary is to ensure no nuisance to your neighbour. I believe technically it doesn't matter what height you go to, then the boundary limit still exists - they could build an extension or something in the future that would be affected .... so I would agree with your plumber.

Normally in the manual this is covered as distance to boundary and I can't remember seeing anything about height limitations on the boundary although I havn't fitted too many Worcester's.

It seems to me that you are having a dodgy installation, probably doing it yourself & palming it off as your mate doing it.That`s fine, but please take your time to read the Manufacturers instructions..all the information you require is provided there. Don`t forget to gas rate , check the safety device, & ensure the pipe sizing is correct, also check the hot water flow rate, flow/return temperatures & inet/burner pressure, don`t forget to check the flue with your Gas analyser,(do a printout) you`ll need that for your guarantee.

According to Worcester it is necessary to maintain 600 mm min from the boundary. In reality it will only cause you a problem if the plume starts to cause your neighbour grief in which case you will have to move it.

You could always elbow the flue into the garage space and then through the roof thus creating the required 600mm, it won't look pretty but will work and be within the fluing regs

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info and I am definatly not doing this install myself but want to be armed with the facts when i get my quotes. For completeness i should have said that the neighbour also has a garage opposite mine - with the 30cm gap between our 2 external walls and his garage is same height as mine so I can't see why I would cause him any probs if I have my flue going through my garage ceiling? I am happy to go with gowiththeflow's suggestion of using an elbow in the garage to ensure the flue comes out more than 600mm from the boundary. Thanks for the advice
I will see what BG says as they are due next week.

BG :rolleyes: Don't even let the suit in your house. Go with a local recommended CORGI ;) Be at least a 1/3rd of the price ;)

agree with gas4you ... BG prices are high compared to a good CORGI engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back