Horizontal boiler flue near pitched velux window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've taken a good look at the clearance diagrams, and see clearances of 2m quoted for vertical flues below windows on the same pitched roof, or 600mm clearance around a windrow.

But my situation is not explicitly covered.

I would like the flue to come out horizontally through the single storey wall, and on the pitched roof above this wall sit two velux windows, 600mm either side of the flue opening, but above it, on the pitched roof.

Does the 2m regulation only apply to vertical flues? And is the 600mm clearance from the outside of the flue or the centre point?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've got a contradiction there, so you need to resort to the rule that says no; ie, 2m rule below the window, but having said that, how far up the pitched roof is are the windows.

Picture if you can please.

Thanks doggit, appreciated. That was my fear, that both would apply. The windows are very closer to the edge of the roof, and I'm beginning to think it won't be possible.

Picture below, the flue would emerge slightly down and left of the light (light would have to go, obviously). I realise now the measurements are from the outer flue wall which makes things tighter still.

There is a first floor flat lead roof above the pitched roof. I hate the idea of installing through that, i can just imagine periodic leak problems. ... or am i being pessimistic?

Attachments

• 20171209_114913.jpg
    20171209_114913.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 664
There is a first floor flat lead roof above the pitched roof. I hate the idea of installing through that, i can just imagine periodic leak problems. ... or am i being pessimistic?
If you get a proper leadworker and a Gas Safe plumber it's quite feasible. Getting one person with both skills is not.

Sponsored Links
Could you take the flue upwards, and vent it behind the windows, rather than through the flat roof. What's the window situation higher up.

That's a good idea doggit, there may just be enough room though it starts getting a little close to the master bedroom window for comfort, despite meeting regulations.

I guess the other question is when does the 2m rule kick in? I think what I read says when below. ... so if alongside, low-central with the windows, then just 600mm would apply?

rivergo1d

Which boiler are you getting or already have ?

The uptodate flue clearances will be stated in the installation book.

Not chosen yet, but probably vaillant. It won't be a baxi or a potterton.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back