Flue location on new pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating our house and as part of that we are installing a new boiler as the old one illegally vented into next door's garden (trespass).

The plan is to terminate the flue going vertically up out of the 1st floor pitched roof. However, because there are large velux windows going in there, my gas engineer and I are really at a loss of what flue we can fit in and meet regs. The 1st velux window starts 700mm down from the roofline, and 600mm in from the edge of the property (it's a terraced house). So we basically have a small area to work with to get the flue out and are struggling to get it sorted! It's a 4 bed house with 2 bathrooms, so needs to be a fairly powerful boiler. To complicate things a little more, it's coming off a fairly long flue run, so that's a factor too!

Any suggestions welcome, I'll be sure to update you with our solution :)

Sponsored Links
Hmm, couple of options here...

Baxi make a ridge terminal which might sort your problem - frustratingly their flue guide doesn't actually specify installation clearances

Or you could put a fibreglass chimney on the roof and put the vertical terminal of any boiler you like through it

upload_2020-10-8_21-55-32.png

Hmm, couple of options here...

Baxi make a ridge terminal which might sort your problem - frustratingly their flue guide doesn't actually specify installation clearances

Or you could put a fibreglass chimney on the roof and put the vertical terminal of any boiler you like through it

View attachment 207394
Thanks Muggles for your helpful response. Unfortunately I probably should have been clearer that the ground floor roof is a single slope, as it's a one storey extension at the back of the house. So the ridge tile won't work (great idea though!), not the chimney. Any other ideas?!

One possibility could be to put the boiler inside the existing footprint of the house, run the flue up through the ceiling, through a hole in the floorboards in the corner of the spare bedroom above, and then turn it 90 degrees to come out the wall horizontally, above the pitch of the extension roof. Not ideal in many ways, but a possible solution?

Sponsored Links
Yep, you could certainly do that, although be aware that you need inspection hatches in any boxing to be able to inspect the flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back