Combi boiler & hot water flow - dumb question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - another new typeface.; no pro.; trying to get my head around boiler technology...

Am replacing a boiler in a small Victorian terraced house (2 up, 2 down, + bathrm up, kitchen down). I've just bought the house & not used the old (Radiant) boiler, so don't know how it performed.

I have my eye on the Baxi Duo-tec Combi 28 HE. The existing boiler's CH output ranges from approx 18-30KW; the Baxi 9.5-25.9, but I'm hoping this will be enough (just one person in the house). Opinions on this very welcome.

However - my dumb question is about hot water flow - would buying a higher KWage give me better flow, or is it nothing to do with it?

thanks.
w-j.

Sponsored Links
The c/h output will be more than enough, as you say the bigger the boiler the faster it can heat the water so better flowrates. But you will also need a decent flow and pressure on your incoming mains to allow the combi to work properly.

Sponsored Links
thanks sooey-helpful advice. the cold tap couldn't knock you over with it's pressure (as some), but it comes out fast enough. guess it's hard to judge what fast enough is without experience. any rules of thumb that can be explained over email?

gas4you - cruel to a poor householder who's just managed to make a decision in an unknown and bewildering market! somebody reassure me!

w-j.

Installation is more important than boiler choice.
No real moans about recent Baxi's I can remember! They're OK.

gas4you - cruel to a poor householder who's just managed to make a decision in an unknown and bewildering market! somebody reassure me!

I'm sure G4U does not mean any offence OP, it's just that he seems to have developed (maybe justifyably) a fixation with Vaillant that to others might constitute a serious threat to their marital status.

thanks for the reassurance!

so - if I were to go up to the 33, without being able to change my mains water flow, I'd be wasting my money?

and then I'll shut up - I promise!

w-j.

You should shut up until you have measured the cold water flow with a bucket and second hand.

Tell us the flow rate in litres per minute.

If you really dont know how to do it then ask a 14 y.o.

Tony

If the Baxi duo-tec was any good it would sell on its reputation rather than baxi giving you a £200 cash back incentive :rolleyes: Why is it out of all the manufactures Baxi/potterton are the only ones who call me twice a week to ask if I will fit their boilers :eek:

If a boilers good they don't need incentives to sell them.

I didn't intend to sound cruel, a spades a spade with me even to potential customers. I like to fit a boiler that I know is extremely unlikely to fault and need a service visit.

I wish there was a british manufacturer who could offer me this. I would fit them straight away, but there isn't. Who have we got, Baxi :eek: , Halstead :eek: :eek: Keston :eek: :eek: :eek: and Ideal :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I rest my case ;)

I thought the £200 cash back was for the 40KW model only. New stainless steel range seems OK.
Vaillant aint perfect as we all know.

I know a lot of local installers who seem to have problems with Vaillants, but it must be that I'm lucky then as I have only had 2 minor problems (F75) which we all know is a manufacturing problem and the boiler keeps going upon reset until the pressure sensor is replaced, the other one was one of the now replaced burner seals failing.

Never had any electrical or pcb faults and if there was a problem they are so easy to fix.

As I've said before, the only problem is with the Glow Worm muppets who Vaillant send out to fix them, but as I now have an agreement that only Vaillant engineers will ever attend a call out for me in the future I have no problems. They send the Ipswich guy up for me who must cover your area as well ashwood. Excellent Vaillant engineer with superb customer relations and manners ;)

gas4you said:
As I've said before, the only problem is with the Glow Worm muppets who Vaillant send out to fix them, but as I now have an agreement that only Vaillant engineers will ever attend a call out for me in the future I have no problems. They send the Ipswich guy up for me who must cover your area as well ashwood. Excellent Vaillant engineer with superb customer relations and manners ;)

Could not agree more..Nothing worse than a part changer who goes red in the face when he swaps a pcb and it still dont work.

Wow! What have I walked into?!

The flow from the kitchen tap is just over 12 (ok 12.3)litres per minute. This exercise has also told me that I would find 11 litres per minute acceptable, which is what my chosen boiler claims to produce.

that sound likely?

thanks
w-j.

Kitchen taps are often restrictive. Add up al the mains taps you've got , when they're on together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back