combi boiler in bathroom

G

george765

Is it safe to install a boiler with power supply in a bathroom ? The nearest thing in the bathroom is the basin. I have been looking at the 'zones' and can see the 0.6m zone around the basin. The boiler and fcu can be put a bit thurther away than this, but not much.
It would be possible to touch both boiler and basin taps/water at the same time.
BC will be checking my work so I want to avoid problems (and be safe).
Advice from you pros would be great.

Sponsored Links
You need to check with the boiler manufacturer that their equipment is designed for installation within a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, rcd protection will be in the ccu and it won't be on a socket, so if there's no other issues I just need to check about the boiler suitability.
thanks again for quick replies.

thanks guys, rcd protection will be in the ccu and it won't be on a socket, so if there's no other issues I just need to check about the boiler suitability.

You will always have to consider any external influences, as this a bathroom area and the hazard they produce. Providing provisions are made for any potential ingress protection issues. It should be fine. It's not unusual to find boilers in bathrooms, not the ideal location but very few places are.
Also check the MI, for the requirements for supplementary bonding of boiler pipes, within this location.

The nearest thing in the bathroom is the basin. I have been looking at the 'zones' and can see the 0.6m zone around the basin
The zones in bath/shower rooms are referenced from the bath and the shower tray/shower basin. The hand basin is not a reference point when zoning, but common sense and external influences of the environment must be considered!

I am interested in why you think/know the MI may require supplementary bonding which would differ from the electrical regulations.
Would depend on the model of and age of boiler being fitted.
I will concede that most will have a plate giving continuity across flow, return, inlet and outlet pipework but jigs are now being manufactured using ABS, so I would suggest it wise to confirm via the MI that any requirements are complied to.

If you are referring to the so-called 'cross-bonding' below the boiler so beloved of plumbers, some (all?) of whom will not commission without, this is neither a requirement nor necessary as supplementary bonding.

Furthermore, they do not demand that it is also connected to the boiler itself nor any other pipes and CPCs of the location.

Should supplementary bonding be necessary because of the situation or location then complying with the regulations is all that would be required and additional bonding connecting just some of the pipes would be superfluous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back