COMBI BOILER IN LOFT HAS DRAMATICAALY REDUCED WATER PRESSURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me?
I am getting a double extension built to the side of my house, and have re-newed my combi boiler and all rads and taps. To get the boiler out of the way i decided put it in the loft but due to the distance the water now has to travel (around 5m to get to the boiler) my water pressure has dropped dramatically. When i now turn my hot taps on they are all but dripping and take forever to fill a bath, and my shower is not much better.
Is there anything i can do to create better pressure to get faster hot water to my taps?
The combi fitted is a Boulter Buderus 28kw with 22mm pipe running from mains and to shower and taps.

Sponsored Links
Hmm you have got me worried now - I am considering getting a Combi Condensing boiler fittied in the loft and so reading this I am having 2nd thoughts as to what you can do.

I just wondered:

- Is your stop tap turned all the way on ?
- Have you had your lead pipe replaced ?

I guess you need to somehow increase your water pressure up to the loft

Get the installer back there is clearly something wrong other than pressure.

Moving the boiler to the loft should not have a dramatic effect on the pressure. Is the cold pressure/flow OK. If so you may find the boiler has a flow restrictor partially blocked or the cold inlet valve is not fully open.

The water presure will be reduced at boiler level but will increase again as the pipework drops down to the taps. The new longer pipework may reduce pressure slighty (through friction) but if you have run it in 22 this should be minimal.

Sponsored Links
mark.carline said:
Gasguru said:
....but if you have run it in 22 this should be minimal

Is that 22mm from the main stop cock to the combi boiler in the loft ?

A combi, unvented cylinder or thermal store should have their own dedicated supply lines back to the stop cock, pregerably in 22mm. Make sure the stoptap is full bore.

My 22mm pipework runs right from the downstairs stopcock to the boiler and then from the boiler to the shower and bath.
My cold water is coming out fine, its quite powerful actually.

The hot water supply from the boiler is better in 15 mm although fed in 15 mm from the boiler directly to each major outlet perhaps.

I would say there is definately something wrong.

Call back your CORGI registered installer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back