Combi boiler leaking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help...

I've got a Ferroli Optima combi, I've drained the central heating and replaced all of the radiator valves with TRVs. Come to repressurise the central heating (something I've already done 2-3 times over the past 2 yrs with no problems) and it pressurises, the TRVs are all fine (no leaks!) but water leaks out from inside the boiler, a pint or so over 5 minutes. Depressurising things stops the leaking.

I've taken the front panel off to have a look. There's a copper barrel, about the size of a coke can but a little thinner (pressure expansion vessel?), on the boiler side of the filler circuit. On the top of it is a brass barrel a bit bigger than a cotton reel, on top of this is a small threaded nipple with a couple of o-rings at its base. Looks like it should have a cap but there's nothing there. This is where the water's coming from.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong? I'm not intending to fix it myself but I want to have an decent idea what the problem is before I get a 'professional' in to fix it.

Rich.

Sponsored Links
from your discription it sounds like the aav try acar/bike tyre valve dust cap as a TEMP REPAIR.the aav needs replacing

Uh, thanks, but AAV? I'm guessing the V is for Valve?

Rich

think he means Auto Air Vent

does yours look like
thing.jpg

this is an Auto air vent

Sponsored Links
It's not really on its side. This is breezer's old picture that has fallen over. :D

Sort of. I've taken a picture of the one on our boiler. Apologies for the quality - I couldn't get the camera to focus properly. The bit that's circled is where the water's coming from. Loks like the whole of the brass barrel can just screw off and a new one screw on in its place. Is it really that easy?!

Rich.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back