Combi boiler lifespan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm the new girl and I need some general advice please. I'm in the process of buying a house with gas central heating and I've never had gas OR central heating before!!

(My experience is limited to a 50 year old four-oven Aga still working perfectly but something tells me this might be different ... !!)

My proposed "new" (Victorian) house has a Vaillant TURBOmax Plus 828 E combination boiler which is 8 years old. According to invoices I have been shown, it was last serviced 18 months ago and in January this year it was fitted with a new heat exchanger although nothing was mentioned about any servicing at that time.

Can anybody tell me how long such a boiler ought to last? I don't want a surprise bill in my first winter alone in my new house. Also, would it be worth getting the system inspected before I sign contracts or are these things generally OK? And if so, how much should I expect to pay for an engineer to inspect and report?

I know there are some really helpful and knowledgeable heating engineers out there so I hope they can advise me.

Sponsored Links
Its not so much of a boiler question as more of how the boiler has been installed.
There is nowt up with your make(good make) and also one of the better models.
At an educated guess id say u could get another 8 yrs out of it, but it has lots of other contributing factors,could be more or less!
A bit like a car u find good and bad off all makes and models.
If its all working fine,put money aside every month(same as a home care pack from BG would cost) and get it serviced every year.
If anything goes up with it you will have the money there to deal with it,also try and find a good local RGI so you have a contact when you need them.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Above poster's words of wisdom echoed.

Let theservice be as described in the manual as opposed to operational/ FGA redeading, which in most cases is window dressing only.

Diverter valve needs to be serviced regularly on this boiler.

Above poster's words of wisdom echoed.

Let theservice be as described in the manual as opposed to operational/ FGA redeading, which in most cases is window dressing only.

Diverter valve needs to be serviced regularly on this boiler.

Thank you, I'll make a note.

I'll need to practice that one:-

"Hello, I would like my boiler serviced please. Let theservice be as described in the manual as opposed to operational/ FGA redeading, which in most cases is window dressing only."

"Very well, madam. It shall be just as you say."

In my dreams!!!

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its not so much of a boiler question as more of how the boiler has been installed.
There is nowt up with your make(good make) and also one of the better models.
At an educated guess id say u could get another 8 yrs out of it, but it has lots of other contributing factors,could be more or less!
A bit like a car u find good and bad off all makes and models.
If its all working fine,put money aside every month(same as a home care pack from BG would cost) and get it serviced every year.
If anything goes up with it you will have the money there to deal with it,also try and find a good local RGI so you have a contact when you need them.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the insight & good wishes. I will do that. Glad to know it's a good choice of boiler in theory.

Do not knock what I wrote. There are people in this trade who take pride in what they do instead of see only £ signs.

Do not knock what I wrote. There are people in this trade who take pride in what they do instead of see only £ signs.

:oops: I didn't mean it like that, DP ... I was just imagining me, knowing absolutely nothing about boilers and central heating, trying to find a way tactfully to ask the engineer to service it according to the manual rather than the operational/FGA thingy. Let's face it, the more they take pride in what they do the more they will want to do it according to the book ... and who am I to tell the expert which book, the Vaillant manual or the RGI standard?

Once I move in I shall ask around for a recommendation.

It has to be the boiler manual. Best to talk to friends and relatives. Better still, if several people give you the same name, go for it.

You will not find an engineer who will be able to fix any fault every time, but next bestthing is one who hand on heart will own up he is on thin ice. Stck with him- he will do his utmost to resolve the problem.

Cannot add much to this, it is all excellent advice but would say if you don't have a copy of the manual (invoices aren't much use) get one from Vaillant and show them to the RGI you choose who should really have his own. Vaillant's would be able to with a suggestion of approved installers as well I guess.

Hmm.. 8 years is not long for a Vaillant heat exchanger to last though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back