Combi Boiler Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi Boiler and want to get a power shower with multi head. The current mixer shower pressure is very light and the pressure guage on the combi looks like it is less that 1 bar, I dont know anything about plumbing so can someone give me a pointer to what I need.

Sponsored Links
a true power shower uses a pump that pumps both hot water from the main cylinder and cold water from the water storage tank, as you have a combi you have neither hot water cylinder or cold water storage tank.

the pressure gauge you are looking at is for the pressure of the sealed side (as in the radiators) it has nothing to do with your hot water flow

It may be that your shower head is scaled up so you could try replacing it.
Failing this buy a good quality thermostatic mixer shower. It may give you more flow :)

You cannot fit a power shower to a combi system as you are not allowed to pump the mains supply. The low pressure that you have is probably caused by scaling in the blender valve. They can be stripped and cleaned (well I could do it) and will work fine afterwards. If you don't know how, either do lots of homework and spend loads of time researching and talking to manufacturers, spend money on courses and evenings playing with similar valves to learn; or get a professional to do it for you, (that's what they're for), while you get on doing what you do.

(Most professionals will only replace it for you and it will be expensive, but they should be serviced annually according to the manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who posted a reply.

Oilman what are the options if I want to install a new multi head shower system with the combi?

When you say "multihead" are you referring to a shower with bodyjets? If so, I am afraid that your hot water pressure is unlikely to be enough to get more than a dribble out of the head and the jets at the same time. In this situation the simplest option (and the only one that can be DIY'd) is to install a cold tank and a hot tank and pump the shower.

If you mean something else by "multihead", then ignore this post :D

if you are looking for a shower that will blow the skin off you, forget fitting a pump to a combi, if you can imagine, the combi is like a kettle and cant heat the water quick enough to cope, for talking sakes, if you need 10 ltrs of water per min and the combi can only heat 5 ltrs per min, its just not gonna happen....i have therfore just installed a 120 ltr unvented pressurised hot water tank, which gives you roasting hot water at mains pressure, and fitted a mira shower mixer valve, took a bit of messing about, but compare my shower to any electrc or pump shower and you will see what i mean.....if you are filling a bath the hot water flys out of the tap at the same pressure as the cold, its pretty mental, £475 from plumb center.....chheeeers, Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back