Combi Boiler Pressure Keeps Dropping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a combi boiler that keeps losing pressure and I have to top it up. I'm having to do this once a day. My local plumber says that it's the "expansion vessel". However, he said that if it was the expansion vessel then the pressure would shoot up when hot water was demanded but would then drop back. This does not happen I.E. the pressure does not shoot up when hot water is demanded it remains about the same as it was. The expansion vessel is inside the boiler and hard to access and he suggests a new boiler. The boiler is about 21 years old. What do people think? Could it be something more simple than the expansion vessel.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
2 things.

1) run the CH, once everything is hot see if the gauge has climbed up to 3 bar, if it has then yes it's the ~ EV. Then it needs its pre-charge checked and also check if the valve is passing system water. If it isn't passing water but there's no pressure then the EV just needs recharged, if it squirts lots of water then its internal membrane is burst.
2) If it is passing water through the valve then no you absolutely don't need a new boiler, you just need access to the return pipework to the boiler somewhere and tee in a remote expansion vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back