Combi boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i am redoing my bathroom and am in the process of moving the radiator, sink and bath. due to this both the radiator circuit is open and the hot and cold taps too.

i would like to turn the water back on as i have been let down by my plasterer and i may not be able to fit everything soon. if i plug/seal the hot and cold water pipes and leave the radiator pipes open, can i turn on the water? on a combi boiler is the radiator side completely isolated from the hot water taps?

Sponsored Links
If the radiator valves are shut, yes.

The radiators and the hot water are isolated, or should be.

so, the radiator part of the combi is a sealed system, the same water is pumped around and heated. is the only way for water to enter the system through the flexi pipe beneath the boiler. is it thru this pipe that you repressurise the system? is this how the mains water refills the radiators?

Also when you are doing this you have to bleed the radiators to let the air out right? when i do this which radiators do u do first? ground floor then first floor?

Thanks so much for your help so far

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but we too have a combi (when it works, but thats another story) the answers to your questions are all yes.

and it doesnt matter, but you should bleed while system is off then re pressurise (that is to account for any water you "lost" while represureising in the first place)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back