Combi Boiler/ Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing a central heating myself. I'm probably going to buy a full system from Mr Central heating (.com). I'm going to stick to the usual 22/15mm copper system as I have some experience of working with copper. I was wondering whether anyone could reccomend a potterton 28 or Vokera compact 28? They are both about 100,000 BTU. Do you reakon that either of these will be enough to power a shower tower from home base (The silver one at £250) Any comments on any of the above would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is worth checking the flow rate needed for the shower with the manufacturer and compare this to the boiler spec. Then add in a bit of slack as the flow rate at a given temperature will drop in winter when the water is colder coming into the boiler. If the shower is the one with side jets I would imagine you would need a pretty high flow rate or you would lose pressure if they were all working together and someone turned on the hot tap downstairs. I plumbed my own system in plastic (Hep20) as I was being quoted some large numbers by various plumbers. Good Luck!

Thanks Ant. The flow rate for both boilers are the same 13.5l/min. Do you (or anyone else) know whether this will work well with the shower tower? It does have the jets you mentioned. Any other views on these two boilers would be appreciated.

If the flow rates are about the same then it sounds like it should work but it may be worth getting a larger boiler as if hot water is used elsewhere in the house at the same time as the shower the pressure will drop. Also, the figures quoted will probably be under optimum conditions. As I said the flow rate at a given temp will be less in the winter when the water is colder to start with. I hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
I do not want to be a "wet blanket" but are you going to get a corgi registerd person in to check it and connect the gas? it is illegal for any one who isnt to touch the gas supply (heaven forbid but if something goes wrong the insurance will not pay out)
you may also want to see this

Breezer - I appreciate your concern. But as I work for Transco I'm aware of the safety implications of connecting the gas supply. I'd loose my job if I fitted it myself and someone found out. I will definitely be getting a CORGI registered fitter in. No advice on whether Vokera or Potterton is best?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back