Combi Boiler Upgrade??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Worcester 28CDi.Everything works ok, no probs.

Since changing to the combi boiler, i have got used to the differences between a conventional and combi system with regard to hot water.

However, i really would like to get a better flow of hot water, especially in the bathroom.

Is there an easy way to upgrade/boost the system (easy...LOL) or is it a case of a complete replacement boiler??.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Other than have the combi checked over to ensure it is set up correctly, burner pressure etc then no. Would suggest a 37 or 40Kw combi. If you swapped to this you may also have to have the gas pipe from the meter to boiler increased in size as well.

I have never had any complaints about a 28/30 Kw combi hot water flow before!

Thanks Gas4You,

Much as i thought. As for the Hot Water, i don't have any complaints as such but it just isn't the same as when i had a hot water tank. (shouldn't have bought a combi then..........).

For instance, when filling a bath, in the old days i just turned both taps on full blast and checked for temperature when it was nearly full.
With the combi, if i turn on both taps the hot water does not get as hot, so i run the hot water and then top it up with cold.

Don't get me wrong, the hot water get's hot, just not as much of it as it used to be with a conventional system.

Many thanks for the reply.

Matt

Yours is working fine but you are just describing the operation of a combi compared with a stored HW system.

The advantage of the combi is the hot water never runs out and its there within a minute of opening the tap. They are wonderful for showers with mains water pressure.

Also you dont waste a cupboard full of tank!

You could keep your combi boiler feeding the kitchen but use it to heat a stored tank if you really wanted to.

Tony

Sponsored Links
A common problem with people changing to combi. They have had a lifetime of turning on hot bath tap full, especially if upstairs or in a bungalow, to get enough flow. Combi's need the hot tap adjusted to get flow rate/hot water temp at a happy medium!

Thanks all.

Up until now i have used an Electric shower that heats its own water. Will the combi really work ok with a bath mixer/shower or is it going to be problematic.

Tnaks in advance.

Matt

Grant used to do a combi boost, basically an electric pack which fitted after the boiler to heat up the water several degrees more therefore giving a better rate. It was to me a glorified electric shower inline.

I had to boost up a combi once, put in a feed tank back into the loft whack one of grunfoss' lovely booster pumps on it and bob was most definatley your mums bro

;)

the reason was some numpty nuts idiot had installed the combi on a mains supply i could tiddle faster than

TheBigMatt said:
Thanks all.

Up until now i have used an Electric shower that heats its own water. Will the combi really work ok with a bath mixer/shower or is it going to be problematic.

Tnaks in advance.

Matt

Never heard of showers not working properly off a combi. usually baths that people complain about!

Mind you I did install a 35Kw shower and customer 'complained' that shower was now so good that he was getting bead blasted clean :LOL:

Yes I remember the first 40kw worcester I fitted was actually in a bathroom so I tried the shower, I recon it would have hosed you put of the room if you weren't careful. Totally OTT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back