Combi Boiler whistling noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the radiators in my house were turned on full so I went round and turned some of the down as it's now getting milder. Thing is my combi boiler has now started making intermittent whistling noises, especially when it's turned on.

Also one my radiators has stopped working all together, no matter what heating seating you have it at no heat is getting to it! I've bleed it and no air is coming out, just water.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
is your combi boiler a white box hung on a wall, probably in your kitchen ? if so could you copy the name and model and post them on here to give us a fighting chance of sorting your problem.. thank you very very much

Until he has identified the boiler there is little point in asking if he has TRVs on some or all rads and if there is an auto bypass,

Tony

The valves on our radiator aren't TRVs. Not sure what an auto bypass is??

The name on the boiler is Glow-worm Fuel Saver F.

We've noticed that the whistling only starts when the flame ignites on the boiler but if you turn the thermostat nob on the boiler itself down to 2 (from 3) you get no noise at all...

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the boiler main heat exchanger may be scaled up and causing kettling.

A few engineers will treat that with chemicals in situ. Others will remove it to treat it. Most will prefer to fit a new heat exchanger.

Tony

It sounds as if the boiler main heat exchanger may be scaled up and causing kettling.

A few engineers will treat that with chemicals in situ. Others will remove it to treat it. Most will prefer to fit a new heat exchanger.

Tony

Is that an expensive part to get replaced?

Oh right i thought you meant something like 'Wind of Change' By the Scorpions.

great song, but could see how that would get annoying!

In a very few cases a noise can be produced by the burner but thats very rare with modern boilers and with most causes would result in reduced heat output.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back