combi boiler with a vented tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a combi that can be used with a vented tank? I've looked on all the usual sites and most seem to suggest that their boilers can't used with a vented hot water tank.

Sponsored Links
Most Combi's can be used to heat an O/V Cylinder, but you will need to fit 2 port motorised Valves interlocked with the boiler's control circuit, the taps that remain on the combi's HW system will work independantly a Honeywell "S Plan" is the control system to use ;)

Sponsored Links
I think that he has a poor mains supply flow rate and wants to supply water to the boiler from a vented roof tank.

This is possible but due to the resistance in the combi would need several floors of building height or a pump to boost the pressure.

Few manufacturers would be happy either because there would be no chlorination to prevent bacteria growing in the warm pipes.

In theory it would be possible but would need a potable water break tank and a pressure pump!

Tony

I think that he has a poor mains supply flow rate and wants to supply water to the boiler from a vented roof tank.

This is possible but due to the resistance in the combi would need several floors of building height or a pump to boost the pressure.

Few manufacturers would be happy either because there would be no chlorination to prevent bacteria growing in the warm pipes.

In theory it would be possible but would need a potable water break tank and a pressure pump!

Tony

Buy a system boiler and be done with it?

I don't think the OP is sure what he wants himself, he does refer to a Hot water tank? hence my advice, perhaps he should consult an Engineer after a site visit it would all become clear ;)

guys, thanks for all your comments. What I really want is the flexibility to go to a vented system if I outgrow the combi when the family gets older - teenagers etc. So I was hoping to be able to install a combi but leave my options open to putting in a vented cylinder later if necessary without having to change the boiler. There have been many suggestions that Combis can be used for this but then when I checked on the common manufacturers sites I couldn;t find say that say they are compatible - quite the opposite so I was wondering if anyone knew of one that was compatible.
I do have low flow rate - only 14l/min so that rules out a megaflow!

Have seen many a combi on a Y plan, when it heats an open vented indirect cylinder for a far off bathroom. It is no different to using any system boiler or a sealed system.
Obviously, you need a Y plan (or S plan) to control the boiler's heating circuit, and you still have the benefit of 'instant' hot water at selected outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back