combi condensing boilers best to get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new combi condensing boiler. What is a good one to get? My preference is for a UK manufactured one as I want to get a decent service afterwards if needed.

Sponsored Links
Being made in the UK has nothing to do with service. Most boiler internals are Italian parts anyway.

Unless you've been living in a cave for the last 30 years you may have noticed that UK manufacturing of household goods (inc boilers) is mostly knackered. As for combi's they were invented, developed and marketed by overseas firms. By chance however there are still the odd ones made here but the brands with a reputation for service owe that to investment by their German owners.

I would suggest the most important feature you need is reliability. Then servicing is unimportant. Viessmann is a reliable boiler with very poor servicing and no spares except from the manufacturer.

The main feature in boiler reliability is correctly installing on a perfectly clean and inhibited system.

Its better to buy a common boiler because the spares are well stocked and service engineers will be familiar with the model.

Even Vaillant seem to have spares problems. I was once quoted six weeks for a spare to come to the UK from Germany.

Vaillant have complicated boilers with very poor instructions available.

To demonstrate how poor Vaillant info is, I could ask why some 242 models NEED to have a diaphragm pump included? I would be surprised if anyone knows the answer!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm pump is included to keep up the reputation of German engineering. That is to always overcomplicate the design. :mad:

I have finally got the service gaskets for a Glowworm Hxi - only taken 2 months. The Worcester service gaskets for the Greenstar Junior took a month - it also takes forever to service the thing.

To demonstrate how poor Vaillant info is, I could ask why some 242 models NEED to have a diaphragm pump included? I would be surprised if anyone knows the answer!

Is this to assist the air circuit of the Combi Compact VCW242E? They were over complicated but you have to admit Agile, you'd be lucky to get a combi to last 20+ years today.

best staying away from british boilers IMO. Germany, Holland and italians make the best boilers in that order as well. Uk only make cheap nasty un realiable boilers.

sorry forgot to reccommend a boiler.

If you want good all round value , service / support and realiable then Alpha boilers are the one. New CD25C CD28C etc all come with 3 years standard warranty and if you buy the premier pack with it then you get an extra 2 years. So 5 years warranty from a company that will deliver ther promises

Viesmann are probably the best boilers i have come accross but very expense although very realiable. But i must admit they arn't the best company for backup. Something they need to improve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back