Combi drill not drilling into brick

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've just got a new makita combo drill. I am trying to put up a bracket for a garden hose onto brick pillars at my garage. I've charged the battery and put in a 7mm masonry bit in the drill at the hammer drill setting. It has taken about ten/fifteen mins to drill about 10mm into the brick. I need to drill 50mm, at that rate I'll be at it all day. What's gone wrong? I have a feeling the bits supplied are cheap ones, could that be the problem? According to the instructions mounting the hose reel, I should use tungsten carbide tipped bits. I haven't the faintest idea about diy so I have no experience of this kind of thing but I bought a drill that is supposedly capable of brick, concrete drilling etc. Any ideas please?

Been following this with interest. I also have a pair of Makita cordless drills and I find that they're great for general DIY but I do use an SDS if I'm doing a lot of brick or concrete drilling.

Having said that, the Makita will do it, but it just takes longer. But definitely not 15 minutes to drill 10mm...
So, I believe that your drill should be fine but you could do with spending a few quid on a decent branded hammer drill bit.

You're clearly not going to (and shouldn't) go out and buy another drill so pay no attention to the people suggesting you can only do this with an insert-name-of-favourite-manufacturer SDS drill.

Finally, as you've noticed, there are a small number of people on here who just like to start an argument, especially when they don't see people immediately agreeing with them - they are just a small minority and can be ignored.

No argument - just straight talking. We are men's men - you are a little girl. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Been following this with interest. I also have a pair of Makita cordless drills and I find that they're great for general DIY but I do use an SDS if I'm doing a lot of brick or concrete drilling.

Having said that, the Makita will do it, but it just takes longer. But definitely not 15 minutes to drill 10mm...
So, I believe that your drill should be fine but you could do with spending a few quid on a decent branded hammer drill bit.

You're clearly not going to (and shouldn't) go out and buy another drill so pay no attention to the people suggesting you can only do this with an insert-name-of-favourite-manufacturer SDS drill.

Finally, as you've noticed, there are a small number of people on here who just like to start an argument, especially when they don't see people immediately agreeing with them - they are just a small minority and can be ignored.

Thanks, yeah you're right they can be ignored, it's for the best.

I'll be in town next week and will as you say buy a decent bit. Hopefully there should be some improvement. Cheers.

[You're clearly not going to (and shouldn't) go out and buy another drill.
Why not?

The first time i used an SDS i took my regular hammer drill out of the van and bought one. Luckily i chose a Bosch blue.

I've still got my Bosch blue. Bought second hand £25 20 years ago. Still hammers through anything on the planet.

Lol.. This post is laughable, it's taken 5 pages for you to work out you need a new drill bit??

Weren't you told that (and I'm sure it was reasonably polite then) on the 1st page?

What's the point on asking for advice if your not gonna take it?

If people aren't going to listen, they can screw themselfs, I don't suffer fools.

Maybe wizzardofodds should have asked the question on a diy forum and maybe got some cival responses,,,,oh wait this is a DIY forum.

Dont understand all the hostilities on this thread. I'm sure the op is an expert in his chosen profession and could go on about stuff we wouldn't have a clue about.

Maybe wizzardofodds should have asked the question on a diy forum and maybe got some cival responses,,,,oh wait this is a DIY forum.

Dont understand all the hostilities on this thread. I'm sure the op is an expert in his chosen profession and could go on about stuff we wouldn't have a clue about.

Indeed. Some high horses were ridden across this thread :rolleyes:

I think his carer should have explained it to him. No wonder he can't understand the manual. :rolleyes:

I've made good use of the board settings now. Its just a shame I can't exclude from the thread for everyone.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully it will stop raining one day and I can get stuck in.

So it was the DRILL BIT after all. Well fancy that. Who would have guessed? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back