Combi letting by through overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine called out an engineer to deal with a problem Glow-Worm combi that was providing neither HW or CH. The guy removed the heat exchanger and gave it a descale, replaced it and the boiler worked fine for a couple of days and then failed again. The same chap returned saying the gas valve had packed up and would require replacement so a new gv was installed. The boiler is now operating correctly but there is an occasional dripping from the outside overflow.

What is the likely cause, here? Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pressure relief valve is passing water to outside.
Whether it's activated as expansion vessel is flat and boiler pressure has risen to 3bar, thus opening valve as a safety measure or whether engineer had used valve to empty boiler when doing previous repair and it hasn't seated properly due to dirt, who knows..

the pressure gauge on the front of the boiler will give some clues. What is the pressure (a) cold and (b) hot?

Does water drip out when cold, when heating up, or when hot?

Are you sure it is dripping from the bent pipe, and not from the flue?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the useful replies, guys.

I am unable to answer your question re whether this happens when off, on etc , John, as the said flat is in a different part of London to where I am. But the dripping is coming from the vent pipe not the flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back