Combi making whistling noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!

I have a Chaffoteaux & Maury 'Britony' combi boiler with three radiators connected. The boiler has recently started making a whistling noise every so often when it pumps hot water to the radiators. I can feel the right-hand pipe leading from the base of the boiler and it is this pipe making the noise. Is this noise what people refer to as kettling?

Any idea how i can stop it?! It used to work perfectly! I did play around with the lockshield valve on the biggest of the radiators a few weeks ago, which may have coincided with when the noise started, but have since tried returning it to where it was before and the noise remains.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Kettling is as it says on the tin, the sound of a kettle boiling.

it is probably just that you have changed the lockshield setting on the rad and this is causing the noise through the waterway in the valve now being more restricted.

Britony heat exchangers are very prone to make "airplane" noises when flow through them is restricted. At a low level this might resemble "whistling" and will occur as the boiler reaches the maximum flow temperature.

Opening the boiler by-pass to the maximum might help, as a three radiator system is a very small heating load for this boiler. Also worth checking the return filter which may well be blocked. See other posts on this boiler for more details.

thank you for the advice. I have tried readjusting the lockshield valve to its previous position, but the noise remains. It seems to be alleviated if I run the tap, so i think it is indeed something to do with the pressure of the system, which is low.

Unfortunately, my system doesn't have a filling loop! any idea how to repressurise without?!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem on my system. Try turning the flow temperaure down on the boiler to say 60 de C... is it set at maximum??.... are all the TRV's open to allow 'circulation'?

thanks. I'm not sure how i'd do that, do you know?

the water from the taps doesn't get that hot, so would be surprised if it is at maximum. the TRVs are definitely open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back