Combi Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never had a combi, but my daughter has had two at the last places she lived. However, they appear to be working differently.

At the previous address, with the heating off and water on, the boiler was silent until she turned the hot tap on, and then it fired up, and this is how I expected it to work.

However in the house she has just moved in to, again with the heating off, the boiler makes a noise before you draw hot water (as soon as the main boiler switch is moved from the off to the on position). The boiler is in a bedroom, which I realise is not a good position, but she doesn't want it making a noise, and she doesn't want to keep having to turn the boiler on every time she needs to draw hot water.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it?

Some combi's have a preheat function so that they can deliver hot water faster when there is call. It can usually be turned off.

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll get back to you on boiler make/mod asap.

Sponsored Links
Did they have a preheat?

Presumably rented flat.

Well overdue for replacement now.

Tony

No idea why you say it's overduedue for replacement Tony, but I'll get to that later. I'm just trying to find out why the boiler is making a noise with heating off and before hot water is drawn.

The boiler cannot know when hot water is going to be drawn.

Does it fire up regularly to heep the boiler warm called preheat? [ I did not think that your's did ]

Or is it only making a noise just when power is first applied?

Do you know what year it was made?

Tony

The boiler cannot know when hot water is going to be drawn.

Does it fire up regularly to heep the boiler warm called preheat? [ I did not think that your's did ]

Or is it only making a noise just when power is first applied?

Do you know what year it was made?

Tony

I was under the impression that combi boilers only fire up when hot water is needed. Unfortunatley, I have no idea whether this particular make or model has a preheat function. The combi at her last house remained silent until a hot tap was turned on. She doesn't want the boiler coming on when it is in the on position, only when she draws hot water or heating is on. Don't know year of mfg either, as she has only recently moved into this property.

So are you saying it continually makes a noise when it's turned on, or just when it's first turned on. IE, if you turn it on and leave it for 10 mins with the heating off and no water being drawn, does the noise persist?

So are you saying it continually makes a noise when it's turned on, or just when it's first turned on. IE, if you turn it on and leave it for 10 mins with the heating off and no water being drawn, does the noise persist?

Just asked her to turn boiler on with heating off, and to leave it for ten minutes. She says it's still making a noise, but it's more of a humming noise than when it flames up

I looked at the MI and they do not mention any preheat.

Usually that means there is none!

Tony

It does sound as if the pump is still running.

A very few boilers have an internal setting to run the pump all the time. But I don't expect yours has that facility.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back