Combi + strange noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My 6 year old Worcester Combi is beginning to worry me a bit. When everything is off it eventually turns off...but then turns on again for a few seconds. It does this three or four times before finally shutting off.

And tonight, again with everything off (the heating went off about an hour ago, and I just ran some hot water), it's making a peculiar chugging noise.

Touch wood, I've had no problem with the heating and the only (longstanding) problem with the hot water is that sometimes I have to turn the tap on and off two or three times before the hot water starts coming through - and no, this isn't anything to do with the normal combi heating water slowly a bit at a time.

I know nothing about boilers so basically I need to know should I get someone in to have a look at it? It's never been serviced as previous experience has taught me that the more you get it fiddled with the more it breaks down. ;) If I should get someone in, what should I suggest might be wrong with it, on the basis that if I sound faintly knowledgeable they might be less inclined to take me for a ride? No offence meant to anyone, I'm just basing that on experience of how different tradesmen can be according to whether they're dealing with me or my bloke. :confused:

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
CHeck the pressure, should be 1 - 1.5 bar
Water problems depend on the model.
If it's a Cdi then Diverter valve / diaphragm would be suspect
if it's a 24i etc then flow sensor

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, pressure is steady at 1.5.

Flow sensor, cheers. So, worth getting someone in to investigate the water issue and the grumbling, or should I go on the basis of if it's working just now leave well alone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back