Combi to Combi swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick query chaps,

My boss (I work with a 1 man band) has asked me to price a job up over the weekend as he thinks it will be good experience for me, the details are below to the best of my knowledge.

Remove Worcester High Flow 3.5 and vertical flue from cupboard and install new boiler into same position.

Supply and fit 440cdi with DT10RF optimiser and spirotrap.
4 x 1meter flue extension
1 x vertical terminal
1 x pitched roof flashing

3 x 22mm copper pipe
1 x 15mm copper
Various solder fittings/compression fittings
Connect condensate to drain under the property (easy access once floor is opened)

Flush with cleanser X800
Add inhibitor X100

I've got a price in my head now but not sure how accurate I am with this, My boss will still be pricing but I want to be as realistic as poss.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you gas safe registered?

It sounds like a training exercise!

But if I was your boss then I would be thinking of sacking you if I found you cheating by asking here!

I am sure that he wants you to THINK yourself!

Tony

Jesus Tony..... You had a bad day?

OP, pricing threads in the open forum are a nightmare, but look at your purchasing prices, look at your required profit margins, think of your overheads, add a little for cock ups and Bob is a closer relative than you thought.

Work out how many hours you think it will take to conplete. Then multiply these hours by how much you would be happy to earn per hour. Then add the cost of materials. Of course you have to take into account your overheads as well! (Something which you may not be too experienced with yet)!

I would probably want to earn about £1000 profit from a job like the one you are describing.

Sponsored Links
Has your boss given you the most important details of the whole job Billy son, the 'overheads/profit' percentage he wants included??

Work out how many hours you think it will take to conplete. Then multiply these hours by how much you would be happy to earn per hour. Then add the cost of materials. Of course you have to take into account your overheads as well! (Something which you may not be too experienced with yet)!

I would probably want to earn about £1000 profit from a job like the one you are describing.

Perhaps this is a Regional thing, but you'd starve if you priced the job at these margins around here!! Guys are doing combi swops for £50!!!....... :eek:

For a floor standing combi with a 4m vertical flue??

Dont talk rubbish rich ;)

If thats the case, no wonder you are having a referendum on independance!

Good point regarding over heads, this I know nothing about, I'm not GS registered but the gaffer is.

I was thinking 2 days to complete easily, this would allow for disposing old boiler etc.

£50 for a boiler swap !!!!!!!!

Every boiler swap I've been on, SE to HE has been a days work more or less.

Profit margins are the trick. And regionality plays a massive role.

What people will survive on in Dicky' region wouldn't cover my fuel costs.

What you will eventually find to be supremely annoying is when you charge £70+vat an hour to a customer and they think that this is your take home pay.

I try and operate on the basis of 33% target profit after immediate expenses.

This covers everything else that the general public like to think doesn't exist in the real world.

Cheers Dan,

So if materials come to say £2600, You'd be looking at making 33% of that for profit ?

Just to add. Good on you billy for using your initiative and asking on here before you go. It shows that you care about what you are doing. I hope you go far mate ;)

When you get more involved there are also other considerations.

Awkward customers can make that %margin diminish rapidly with pointless questions and callbacks.

Regular customers who you know will come back and recommend you can be given a smaller margin as you know that they will generate more income through repeat work and recommendations.

Remember also you are having to warranty the work so trade prices are there for you to cover that. Don't sell boiler to a customer at trade prices unless they are happy to not have a warranty.

Cheers mate,

I am genuinely interested but having never priced anything like this before I wasn't really sure where to start, I've got materials priced as of this evening, it was the labour costs etc I wasn't overly sure on.

Actually, 30% of £2600 seems to be realistic to me, a dam site more realistic than 50 notes anyway !!

You've obviously not had to change a high flow before ;).

Have fun with the commissioning.... I bet the twarts haven't updated the manuals despite me moaning at them for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back