Combi Virgin.... Which is the best boiler to go with

bripl said:
toyota of the combi world?has to be worc cdi range
rolls royce of the combi world? viessman/buderus
skips of the combi world? too many to list but avoid ideal/pott/baxi/,ferrolli,glowworm,anything french sd/chaff,this is just a personal opinion most faults/breakdowns are due to poor installations as in lack of proper flushing/chemicals and commissioning correctly. find a good plumber/heating eng who is concientious and reasonable, listen to his advice,above all remember all manufacturers are the same and will sting you in the price of spares combis are not the only choice you have

toyota! wouldn't rate the CDi that highly and worcester's tech help line is a nightmare to get through to

my favorites are viessmann , vaillant and funnily enough ideal if cost is to be considered have several 5 year old ideals that have only seen the hoover anually

Sponsored Links
Hudson said:
I am mulling over the replacement of my 18 year old standard central heating boiler (Myson). It was 2nd hand ! When i bought it all those years ago for £60. It has worked great up until a few weeks ago when it just started to not work. It started to simply go out, i had the thermocouple replaced by my neighbour (a corgi registered plumber) but we do not think this was the issue... anyway, this may be the right time to join the 21st century and go combi.

What would be the best make to go for, i will look at the various models when i have identified the best make. I want one that overall is reliable... the Toyota of the central heating world so to speak.

Any opinions.

worcester cdi .. superb , does nobody fit vaillant ??? great boilers

The best combi you can buy is the Viessmann Vitodens 200, why do you think it out sells Vaillant and Bosch put together in Germany.
Also in reply to gaz the potterton part fitter our heat exchanger was developed in Germany and is not used in any other boiler not like Baxi/Pot who use the Gianoni like everyone else.

P.S. The heat exchanger has a 10 year guarantee against corrosion.

:cool:

drboilerfix

I have an Viessmann Vitodens 200 for sale as spares if you want to make an offer, before I break it down.

brand new never been fitted but the case got damaged when the delivery man dropped it.

The boiler is complete and undamaged.

Sponsored Links
I would also make an offer on that!

Just what I need for my old house!

Tony

Indeed the case could be straightened out quite well, but the case brackets have come away from the boiler and would need to be re-attached somehow as it doubles as the hanging bracket

conorius said:
I have just Had a Worcester Greenstar CDi 35 installed in my attic, I did this for several reasons
a) Avoid un sightly Steam plume from flue if at ground level boiler
b) To have boiler closer to have water closer to Bath and shower below
c) Want to have more space in my Kitchen cupbards for fine wine.

I am using a remote Thermostat to control the boiler.

Dave Robinson of Allgreave Gas and heating , did an excellent and very professional job of installing the boiler, which involved rerouting considerable gas and water pipe work, and removal of old boilers / watertanks systems from the kitchen bathroom and attic. The installers carried out what I wanted perfectly The price was reasonable , not cheap , not top whack either.

I had done considerable research before selecting the boiler and installer.

regards
Conor

If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the work every thing included as i am thinking of doing something similar

thanks jayne

Jayne,
The work include
a)Supply and Install & comission New boiler Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35 CDi into the loft space of a three bedrrom edwardian semi. Included flushing of system and corrosing inhibitor added.
b) Supply , install , Wireless Digisat optimiser control system down stairs in the house.
c) Remove and dispose of old gas boiler system
d) Fill in hole where old flue pipe exited.
e) Routing of gas pipework from the ground floor to the loft space (going
up outside back wall of house).
Routing of cold water pipework to the Boiler
f) removal of water tanks in the Attic
g) Removal of old Immersion tank from Bathroom
h) Supply and install of 4 Thermostatic valves for Radiators
i) fix botched by me garden tap
j) fix leak at house cold water shut off valve.
k) Three Year warranty

Three men completed the work in approx a day and a half, most of the work was completed in the first day. With the second day being used to commssion and tidy up.

Cost : The total cost was £2795 inc Vat .
By relocating into the attic accounted for approx £ 500-700 of the above total ammount , this was a price I was willing to Pay to avoid the steam plume monster in my very small garden.

A few points to note:
a) You will need a power socket in the loft space. This may be tricky.

b) I could have quite happily gone with a Viessman or Valliant boiler instead of the Worcester Bosch.

c) There was one feature that I would have really liked on wireless remote control, and that is the ability to quickly switch the domestic hot water temperature set point between two discrete settings. My Wife prefers a very hot setting for the Kitchen sink , but I would like to be able to quickly lower the setting when filling the bath for my daughter. After the bath I would reset the temperature the the sink temperature. This would prevent me wasting gas by heating the water temperature of the bath too high and then adding cold water.

Un fortunately this remote feature thus not seem available on any of the systems I could see including the WB unit (others will correct me).

Regards
Conor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back