Combination Microwave

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date

2scoops0406

The magnetron on our combi m/wave has gone. I'm thinking of reparing it myself due to the fact it cost a lot of money. A few things

1) It has been mentioned about mwave ovens potentially having lethal capacitance inside the case, is this a generalisation for all appliances or peculiar to m'wave ovens.

2) Is it easy to change the magnetron, I'm guessing it's just a simple swap out job, but that's a guess.

3) Do I have to be worried / take special precuations to ensure that I don't bugger up the m'wave shielding, and cause it to emit dangerous levels of m'waves.

4) Should I sigh, take it to the dump and remain in a bad mood all day.

5) Stop being a skin flint and take to a panasonic service centre.

6) leave it broken in the box cluttering up my bedromm for another 6 months?

7) Do you think I should spell check my posts before submitting ?

Incidentally, its role is currently being filled by a microwave that cost £19.99 :eek:

Sponsored Links
i am not qualified to comment on a microwave cooker. However when i was at hotpoint my mate was (he had been on the microwave cooker course) and he used to say (and i quote him on this) "bin it"

1- Specific to microwaves, high voltage/high current capacitor

2- Easy, just be careful not to damage the new magnetron & seal when inserting it in the cavity.

3- No, just don't loose the screws :)

4- Depends how much ££ a new magnetron is...

5- Probably not worth it

6- Or sell it on Ebay as a collectors item ;)

Thanks for that. Ok this is what I propose to do.

Find out how much the magnetron is. Depending of this either proceed to next steps, or to the dump.

Remove the outer casing, then then discharge the HV capacitor(s), (probably not necessary as It's not been used for at least 6 months, but hey safety first.

Replace magnetron (looking out for HV capactiors on this, apparently some magnetrons also have HV capactors on them.)

Reassemble, switch on..... bang !! ...... proceed to dump :LOL:

Wish me luck I'm goin' in.

Sponsored Links
Bugger, just looked on ebay, I reckon I could probably replace it for about £80.00, I think this one's gonna be marginal. I see a trip to the dump looming. Looks like Breezer was right again. Sigh !!

Yeah, I'll be very interested in the price of a new magnetron as well. Prohibitive is my guess.

Hi

A new mag from panasonic will be lots, get a pattern one from CPC.
Should cost about £30.

Quoted nigh on a ton. Will have to take m/wave apart and see if I can fit a generic magnetron in. Otherwise the dump here I come.

yep thats the chappy
they should be able to help you out they have a part finder service...most useful
best of luck and let us know how you get on!!
:D

HI

Yes thats CPC.

If you do a search on magnetron you will find lots (all from AWI).

If you get the mag out (remember safety, unplug, discharge the capacitor, use a screwdriver, touch shaft onto case and then tip onto wires to mag or the cap.) post the type no. here and I will let you know which one will fit.

How do you know the mag has gone??

Magnatron said:
HI

Yes thats CPC.

If you do a search on magnetron you will find lots (all from AWI).

If you get the mag out (remember safety, unplug, discharge the capacitor, use a screwdriver, touch shaft onto case and then tip onto wires to mag or the cap.) post the type no. here and I will let you know which one will fit.

How do you know the mag has gone??

:D :D That's a good question, I'm guessing ! The reason I think it has gone is that all the other functions eg fan oven / grill work, but on plain old microwave, the fans work, it counts down etc etc, but the stuff never gets hot. Also the kids had been "playing" with it and had turned in on when empty, which I'm led to believe can cause RF feedback to the magnetron, and ruin it.

I'm sure there are some more definitive tests I could do, I found quite a good site for m/wave diags, so I'll do a bit of research first.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Ok, got the magnetron out, it looks melted to me. Anyhow, the part numbers are

2M236-M42

G17-07230 1

It is a 1000W magnetron

I'll check with CPC tomorrow, but in the meantime, if you know, great.

Oh dear, £73.00 best quote, dump it is then.

Unhappy :( in fact very unhappy

Go on, replace the magnetron with a klystron, far more precise frequency control! ;)

As you have found with your £19.99 microwave, microwaves can be so cheap now that repair is seldom an economic option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back