Combined overflows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two tanks in loft, central heating and cold water headers. The overflows from each is combined into one pipe going to the outside

Is this normal/correct

regards
Greaves

Sponsored Links
I have two tanks in loft, central heating and cold water headers. The overflows from each is combined into one pipe going to the outside

Is this normal/correct

regards
Greaves

They should be separate.

Thanks

I was wrong, one tank overflow (c/w) is actually piped into the other tank (c/h) and then just one pipe from that to the outside. Does this change anything, if not can you tell me why they should be separate.

it definitely changes things, each ballvalve if faulty will overflow causing the tank to fill and overflow through their own pipe, theoretically before the tank overfills and damages the property, if one runs into the other and they both overflow at the same time (unlikely but possible) then the overflow pipe would probably not take the volume and you would have a flood, also i wouldn't be too happy with heating and domestic water being connected at all just in case they mixed(prob unlikely) but again the best design is to keep them apart so there is no chance as opposed to little chance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back