Combining two hall single switches into one double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two single switches in the hall to control the hall and landing light and have one double switch upstairs to control the same. All are obviously 2-way switches.

The switch for the hall light downstairs is in an inconvenient place and I wish to move it to where the other downstairs switch is located to give me one double switch. I presume I will simply extend the cable to the new location and replace the single switch with a double switch.

Questions are:
i) is it ok to do this? Is there a better way?
ii) what sort of connector do I need at the point of extension (presume I have to get rid of the unwanted switch?)
iii) what is the best way to run the cable?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You will have to have a junction of some type where the switch is now and you will also have to have something to mark the end of the safe zone at that point as there are cables in the wall. So why not change that switch for an intermediate and take triple and earth from there to the new double switch.

Can't advise on how to run the cable without more information.

Thanks for the reply. Since the intermediate switch is simply a type of junction, is there anything I should be aware of when connecting the wires (although it sounds straight forward enough and instructions should be provided anyway)?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back