commencing an installation before 1st july 2008

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the ruling if you start an installation before 1st july 2008 but do not complete it until after that date 16th edition or 17th edition compliance? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I believe if it's already been designed to the 16th you can carry on.

Q is if you know it's going to run on, why not start out doing it to the 17th?

I believe if it's already been designed to the 16th you can carry on.

Q is if you know it's going to run on, why not start out doing it to the 17th?

yes I totally agree but may have cost implications by starting it as a 16th edition installation so need exact clarification

Did my 2382-10 Level 3 BS7671:2008 last week.

The NIC stated that work started before 1st July can be done to either standard.

Although adding duel RCD board costs more, the lack of equi potential supplementary bonding saves money.

I'd suggest you redesign on the basis of 17th and provide something that isn't 'old' the day it's commissioned. I'm sure the client would consider a nominal extra cost and by gong for a 17th installation will have better 'value' for them.

Sponsored Links
at this time I generally give the client two prices. One for the 16th Edition and one for the 17th Edition.

Leave the option with them, stating your professional advice would be to comply to the 17th Edition, thus helping the work to be future proof (for a longer period)
If the client goes against your professional advice then he doesn't really have much come back on you if building control or any other issues crop up.

I would include it in the quote then there is no come back as the client would have signed the quote.

at this time I generally give the client two prices. One for the 16th Edition and one for the 17th Edition.

Leave the option with them, stating your professional advice would be to comply to the 17th Edition, thus helping the work to be future proof (for a longer period)
If the client goes against your professional advice then he doesn't really have much come back on you if building control or any other issues crop up.

I would include it in the quote then there is no come back as the client would have signed the quote.

Good advice THANKS

Unless your going for a full sweep of RCBO's where's the extra cost jumping from 16th to 17th.

As you all know the supplementary work is no longer required (accepted measurements tested) and that will offset the cost (say +£25) for a CU that has facility for 2 x RCD's to prevent a SPoF.

So please explain why you offer 2 x quotes, and I assume 2 x prices for 16th / 17th ed work.

The extra cost is a twin RCD consumer unit, to give a level of discrimination.

I generally use Mk consumer units and have noticed twin RCD units are not readily available

As you all know the supplementary work is no longer required (accepted measurements tested) and that will offset the cost (say +£25) for a CU that has facility for 2 x RCD's to prevent a SPoF(single point of failure).

So you add on cost for a 17th Ed spec job when you will be saving the labour and cost of special location equi supp bonding by NOT working to the 16th?

Makes no sense, the work saved on supplying a Double split RCD board against a single board and providing earth bonds for all bathroom and wc's would make a 17th Ed job cheaper NOT more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back