common plumber problems ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what are hte common call outs for self employed plumbers - esp the on call 24hour ones! just wondered out of interest-cos i've called plumbers in for many a thing in my life!!!

Sponsored Links
how long a list would you like ?

one of my most common is rads blown or rad valves leaking.
screws in floorboards that have gone through pipes but been there years and all of a sudden the rusted screw has come out.
loft tanks overflowing - faulty float valves.
flexis on taps blown.
plastic pipe connections blown off.
leadlocs come apart.
stopcocks leaking.

last night 11.30pm got young couple disconnecting old washing machine for delivery of new one today and managed to pull the complete w/m valve off pipe including olive.

ok-wink.gif

how would you fix a leaking stopcock? turn the external stopcock in the pavement off and drain down? weird thing to have happen !!!

trouble with most of them i do are houses converted to flats and rented out so of cause the stopcocks are never used or touched then when someone frees them they start to leak out the gland nuts. and quite a few are still lead mains.

either i freeze them isolate the outside main etc.

Sponsored Links
oh interesting. are those leadloc fittings hard to use? i have heard about them, i know rising mains of copper and 15mm usually, so what are the old lead sizes?

they work in lbs but pretty straight foreward to use long as the pipe is nice and even all round.

It is commonly one million pounds.
Only for the first hour ,and Vat is on top.
Speak for yourself!

My price is all inclusive, i.e. covers all plumbing, heating, gas and drainage work that your house would ever need, an annual all-expenses-paid vacation on a private island the Maldives, AND my wife's recipe for lemon meringue.

The company I am with charge £28 for the additional call-out then an additional £20 thereafter per hour. This is in conjunction with a partnership with a Housing Association, so I presume a private call is a lot more expensive.

the call out charge can be what u like. as long as they agree to pay it....
however if the lady caller is in her wet nighty (due to the leak ;) ) when u get there and she is friedly it might influence your price !!

i keep dreaming !!

My price is all inclusive, i.e. covers all plumbing, heating, gas and drainage work that your house would ever need, an annual all-expenses-paid vacation on a private island the Maldives, AND my wife's recipe for lemon meringue.

I didn't think that you were CORGI registered for gas ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back