Community Fibre Cable Drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've got Community Fibre doing an FTTP (Fibre drop from telegraph pole) install soon and I'm trying to prepare for it. I hoped to be able to utilise the existing overhead cable bracket mounted on the facia board on the corner of the roof (currently in use for BT drop).

I'm planning on running the drop cable up into the UPVC soffit, then into the loft where it would only be a metre before it would then go down into the ceiling of the nearest room's corner. The ONT (fibre box) would then be mounted on the room's internal wall. The cable run from the ceiling to the ONT would be about 6 metres.

Just wondering if you knew the following:

1) I understand that the drop wire (cable) is only 2.5mm dia but I'm presuming it's pretty robust. I was thinking of running it through some 16mm mini trunking but it will will have some 90 degree turns en route, so...
Does anyone know what the min bend radius of this stuff is?

2) After the installers have anchored it on the bracket, I envisage myself poking the cable into the soffit then getting in the loft pulling it across to where it will go through the ceiling (5 min job - good access). Then, giving it back to them to finish up. Hoping they'll be OK with that as I know lofts can be out of bounds for them?

3) Wondering if the 6M run internally is not too long for them to approve or reasonable?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I suspect the installer will put the ONT where you request it to be placed (within reason) and there needs to be mains close by. I would not envisage that you will be able to do anything to the fibre before the ONT as it does not belong to you - same as copper cable to the NTE socket. I would be surprised if they let you do anything with the the fibre before it is terminated.

Minimum bend radius is 10x to 20x the fibre diameter - possibly 25~50mm

when i had fttp installed the OR staff were quite happy for me to feed the cable through my pre installed conduit through the soffit and into the loft where i then ran it down through more conduit to a cupboard in the middle of the house where they terminated it to the ONT

Deryck, thanks for that guide about the radius. That will give me a head start. I get your point about messing with anything their side of the Denmark point. I was hoping to convince them I wasn't a savage and just pop the cable through a couple of holes under their supervision, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sureitsoff?, good to hear that's what you experienced. I think I'll take that tip, do the same and use conduit too. Probably a more attractive proposition for them for a chance of sticking to plan "A"

Thanks again both.

Sponsored Links
OR install is very different from CF.

CF use pre-terminated Kevlar reinforced fibre.. 3mm all the way from the pole. They have a selection of lengths and wind any excess onto a spool at the house end. The cable is not squirrel proof, we've had problems round here.

Sureitsoff?

LOL is a way overused acronym, but I really did. Absolutely the first thing you ask every time, not just to get them on-side but because their firm might be running them ragged and they really need refreshments (I’ve been there). One of the best tips I’ve seen on a forum : - )

Dave LX

Thanks for the CF specifics, very good to know. 3mm dia huh? Blimey, so that brings my radius potentially up to 60mm. I must say that I’m starting to think I’ll just let them do their thing, drill a hole in the wall and manage their cable all the way to the ONT. Squirrels – oh yeah. Bit of a pain being a bungalow, everything from humans to our little furry friends can have a go at the cable. That’s why I was hoping to get the cable indoors as immediately as possible from the corner of the roof.

A couple of years ago we had 3 cars in our car park that had either their fuel lines nibbled or parts of wiring loom attacked overnight by either fox cubs (tiny holes in the pipe) rats, or squirrels. We never found out what the species was. It was not just expensive but through the roof inconvenience-wise. I agree, not to be underestimated.

Sureitsoff?

LOL is a way overused acronym, but I really did. Absolutely the first thing you ask every time, not just to get them on-side but because their firm might be running them ragged and they really need refreshments (I’ve been there). One of the best tips I’ve seen on a forum : - )

Dave LX

Thanks for the CF specifics, very good to know. 3mm dia huh? Blimey, so that brings my radius potentially up to 60mm. I must say that I’m starting to think I’ll just let them do their thing, drill a hole in the wall and manage their cable all the way to the ONT. Squirrels – oh yeah. Bit of a pain being a bungalow, everything from humans to our little furry friends can have a go at the cable. That’s why I was hoping to get the cable indoors as immediately as possible from the corner of the roof.

A couple of years ago we had 3 cars in our car park that had either their fuel lines nibbled or parts of wiring loom attacked overnight by either fox cubs (tiny holes in the pipe) rats, or squirrels. We never found out what the species was. It was not just expensive but through the roof inconvenience-wise. I agree, not to be underestimated.
They use a G657.A2 rated cable that has a bend radius of 7.5mm. The issue could be the pre connector on one end in terms of size through any holes. Think it’s a 4.5mm la/apc connector. They should be able to put the fibre wall output where you want then run an armoured patch from the outlet to the powered Ont. upto 20m from fwo to the ONT.
they won’t connect to the BT wall eye, it’s not theirs. They will fit their own.

Thanks Anon, I appreciate the detail. Been a bit busy, so only just read this properly. The install was a bit different to how I thought it would be, but all's good now. I'll post some pics for anyone having CF installed as soon as I get the chance so they know what they're up against.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back