Complete amateur: making smallish wooden box for outdoor use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm wanting to have a smallish storage box outside my house to keep towels/winter bits in.

We're getting into the time of year now where the dog comes home soaked and soaks the walls in muddy water in the entry hall while I dry him. Figured it'd be good to have towels etc outside.

I'm a complete rookie with woodwork but am keen to learn.

I'm thinking of knocking together a really basic box, perhaps 50cm tall and deep, perhaps 100cm long or something.

I'd then have a basic hinged lid with a clasp to hold it shut.

Then treat it to keep the weather at bay.

What wood would you use? I'm hoping to do it all with a jigsaw, leccy screwdriver, ruler and set square.

Thoughts? Any recommendations or advice warmly welcomed!

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Can only echo the words of footprints will be quicker cheaper more durable (probably) and weatherproof.

You could try pallet timber , have as many tries as you like as materials free.

Sponsored Links
I suspect you're right gents... it's just that the placcy ones don't look quite as nice sat outside the front of my house!

I'll get one of those for now then maybe have a muck about with some pallet wood as foxhole suggests, and try not to cut my hand off.

Cheers all
Matt

*edit* I can't see the "thank" option... but thanks!

If you go ahead, keep the box off the deck....allow it to stand on some tantalised timber laths which will extend it's life.
John :)

for simple garden woodwork, decking timbers are cheap and strong. The "value" versions are about 4"x1" (100mmx25mm) but quality ones are a bit bigger. They are pre-treated but benefit from a couple of coats of preservative or stain, and last better if not actually in contact with the ground.

A jigsaw will cut worse, cost more, and take longer, than a hand saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back