Complete Novice Woodburner - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently had a Yeoman multifuel burner installed. We are complete novices and have read the manufacturers instructions but there's one thing that's bothering us. The fire roars with all the vents open but also when they are all closed. It's like there's no control. This is only the second time we've tried it out since installation but before going back to the company with a poss fault wondered if anyone could tell us if this is how it should work? I don't think it is but just wanted clarification from an expert. Thank you x

Sponsored Links
There are few reasons for a ranging fire;
1, very dry wood.
2, your house is within a pressure zone.
3, flue stabliser not installed.

Click here and look at pages 4 and 5: http://esse.com/support/multifuel-stoves/installation-instructions/100_install-operate.pdf

Also, what temperature does the thermometer read? Only worry if goes above 250c.

Thanks for replying. It sometimes does go above the 250c on the thermometer but only just. The wood is between 15 & 20% which I believe is fine. I was just concerned that there seems to be no difference whatever position the vents are in. We can have the vents closed on start up and the wood still catches fire very quickly.

Most multifuel stoves have two controls (knob or slider), one at the bottom (combustion air in) and one at the top (controls the air wash system to keep the glass clean).
If these are both shut, the flames generally subside completely!
Is the door seal good, and when you close the door does it seem to pull on to the seal?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Most multifuel stoves have two controls (knob or slider), one at the bottom (combustion air in) and one at the top (controls the air wash system to keep the glass clean).
If these are both shut, the flames generally subside completely!
Is the door seal good, and when you close the door does it seem to pull on to the seal?

There are two vents with knobs on the bottom that we turn to open or close and the air wash one at the top. The seal on the door feels and looks like it shuts properly

Can you give a link to the actual stove, please? It seems with both the bottom knobs shut the flames should go - not immediately but certainly within a minute.

Just at risk of stating the bloomin' obvious, there's obviously air getting in there somewhere as it seems to be totally conventional stove!
Sorry, I can't suggest anything here - your flue temp is a bit on the high side, the sort of reading you should expect with the vents open really.

Just at risk of stating the bloomin' obvious, there's obviously air getting in there somewhere as it seems to be totally conventional stove!
Sorry, I can't suggest anything here - your flue temp is a bit on the high side, the sort of reading you should expect with the vents open really.

Thanks for looking at this for me. So I won't look stupid going back to the shop?

No, of course not...your stove is meant to be controllable but it doesn't seem to want to play ball.
My own stove (Morso Squirrel 1410) has only two knobs....closing the bottom one reduces the flames to almost nothing, and if you close the top air wash one as well then its down to glowing embers.

If I may just add my four penn'orth, when we got our wood burner I was told to fully open both top and bottom vents when first lighting the stove. Alternatively, we close the bottom vent, open the top vent fully and leave the door slightly ajar to get the wood burning well.

After it has got going, the bottom vent is always completely closed and the top vent varied according to how hot we want it to burn, but usually about half open. We only use kiln dried wood, but even then we find that some logs burn better than others.

If your fire is burning too hot with both vents fully closed, I'd say there is definitely something wrong. Does the door close properly and is the seal (looks a bit like rope) in good condition? It might sound silly, but is it possible that there is a crack somewhere, perhaps round the back where you can't see? Cast iron can crack in the wrong circumstances. Quite a small opening could cause the fire to burn too hot, just like leaving the door slightly ajar as I mentioned above. For some reason ours flares up more with the door slightly ajar than with the door fully open. I suppose the air is sucked in at a higher velocity through a narrow crack.

Is it defra approved?

For a stove to be approved it has to burn wood without smoke. In order for it to do this it has to keep the fire temperature high enough to burn the fuel effectively.
They do this by limiting the amount you can close the vents so you cant turn it down low enough to cause smoke.

Also, it sometimes takes a while for the fire to respond to the controls, closing vents wont instantly reduce intensity and stove temps will only slowly come down.

Thought you'd be interested in the outcome.

I phoned the shop and they said it was all to do with having a multifuel grate fitted. Something about the gap causes more air so you don't have as much control burning wood as you would when burning coal. I was very sceptical but hey presto, we took out the grate and we now have excellent control. Live and learn! Thank you all very much for your help xxx

That's interesting.

I don't claim to be an expert, but if it's the grilles in the grate letting too much air through from below, how does the air get in there in the first place if the bottom vent is fully closed?

Still, it seems to have done the trick, which is the important thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back