Completely baffled by Yale HSA6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I'm having a complete mare with a Yale wireless alarm system, I can't see the model number on it but think it's the HSA6400.

I installed 2 IR sensors & a door sensor which connect fine to the control panel. However when I get to the Add Siren bit & the control panel sends out a radio signal to the Siren, the Siren will not beep to confirm it's picking up the signal. I've tried taking the control panel outside rite underneath the siren & still it won't beep. I did press the door sensor's button during this process & the siren beeped in response! So it must be able to pick up the signal from the door sensor but not the control panel?

Now I've been through this whole set up process while on the phone to Yale's help line & the guy couldn't figure it out either so he sent me a new Siren. This didn't work so they then sent me out a new Control Panel & guess what? It didn't work! I've tried installing both Sirens with both Control Panels & now I'm completely out of ideas :(

I know it's a long shot but dose anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Bring the siren into the house while you are tinkering

IIRC you have to set a switch in the siren to put it into Learn mode, It also has a Clear Memory switch which you might like to do first so you are starting with a clean install, and you can set the siren time down to one second which will annoy you (and the neighbours) less while you are tinkering. Wear ear defenders. They are so reliable that it is years since I had to set the one I put in my old mum's house.

If you have lost the instruction manual you can download it from Yale
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/Let-us-help/Product-Instructions/

It is important to know which model you have as the instructions are different. The 6400 usually has a round siren, black "learn" buttons on the sensors, and there is a phone connection on the LHS of the panel. It is usually described as the "premium" alarm and costs £200-£250 depending where you buy it.

Unless very new, you may as well change the batteries in the siren before you put it back on the wall

Thanks for the reply JohnD, yes it dose have the telephone connector etc as you described so must be the 6400.

Funnily enough just after typing my first post I did pretty much just what you recommended!

I put both my Sirens on the floor in the Hall next to the Control Panel, Cleared the Sirens by moving switch 1 to the right while OFF & pressing LEARN a few times. Switched them both on & after the LEDs flashed I moved switch 1 back to the left, pressed LEARN which beeped & then got the Control Panel to Transmit Test Signal. Neither of the Sirens beeped after several attempts. I then tried pressing the buttons on the door sensor & the 2 IR sensors to see what would happen & all 3 of them made both of the Sirens beep. I then tried the whole process again with the other Control Panel that I have & got exactly the same results.

I must be missing something here :confused: if the IR sensors can make the sirens beep from all corners of the house then the Sirens must be able to pick up a signal & surely I can't be unlucky enough to have 2 duff Control panels?

I still have the instructions & DVD cheers, been through them both about 20 times today & followed exactly. I'm completely at a loss now!

& cheers for the heads up about the possible incoming flack lol

Sorted!!!

I took the batteries out & unpluged the panel then set it all back up again & wehey it beeped! Just hope it all works when I get it back up on the wall.

Thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
I then tried pressing the buttons on the door sensor & the 2 IR sensors to see what would happen & all 3 of them made both of the Sirens beep.
if the sirens bleep from the sensors but not from the panel, it sounds like the siren is set up as "siren controlled" not "panel controlled"

you can get a lower priced Yale system that has a siren but no control panel, on these versions the siren reacts directly to the sensors. there is a switch that tells the siren if it is the master of the system or not. With a 6400 panel the siren should be set to "panel controlled" and the 6400 should not learn in any devices except the control panel.

edit:
I just had a look at my copies, and it appears to be switch 4, although the manual does no explain why you have to set it (the older manual did). Double check that your switch 4 is set to the instructions for your model of alarm, and (you may need to use a magnifying glass and torch) that you are not looking at the switches upside down. The manual may refer to switch 4 in the siren as the "master" switch. In your case you have a panel so the siren should not be the master. The siren in the 6400 package might come with the switch already set, but I suppose it might have been accidentally moved.

You would have to compare the switch settings on a 6400 siren (panel controlled) with the switch settings on a 6200 siren (exactly the same device, but switched to Siren Master) to spot the difference.

If you have a document called "Yale Control Based System - Quick Setup instructions" it describes how to set the siren switches (I have a copy)

Just noticed you posted another reply there JohnD thanks for that! Well its all up & running now. :D

The only problem I have is when the control panel goes into arm mode & beeps for 30 seconds to allow you to leave & lock up, the siren also Beeps about every second for the full 30 seconds as well! The same thing happens when entering the house & triggering the pre-alarm warning period the Siren beeps with it. Not good when rolling in late doors after the pub!lol

I presume I've not set something correctly here???

Cheers :)

Go back into the menu..
select devices then prog siren..

then go down that menu and ensure 'confirm beep' is set to OFF.. :D

AHHA! I tried 'confirm beep' to off but it still did it, then tried the "entry snd off" option which is in the same menu just bellow & it did the trick! :D

I was looking in the Advanced settings menu before so cheers for pointing me in the rite direction boomerang, problem sorted!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back