Complexity to replace 5 ball valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got one of these online boiler companies coming to fit a new boiler and hot water cylinder. They won't consider any other work (I have asked) but they all work with subcontracted engineers and I am hoping when they arrive I can offer cash in hand for all 5 of our gate valves to be replaced (1 is stick closed, one is leaking and the others are all stiff).

1) Is this acceptable or is it rude asking for extra work when they are here for another job?
2) What would be an appropriate cash cost for this extra work

It makes a lot of sense for us to do this at the same time as cylinder replacement as the system will be drained and one of these ball valves is located behind the tank; but if not we will just get a local guy over when the work is complete.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We've got one of these online boiler companies coming to fit a new boiler and hot water cylinder. They won't consider any other work (I have asked) but they all work with subcontracted engineers and I am hoping when they arrive I can offer cash in hand for all 5 of our ball valves to be replaced (1 is stick closed, one is leaking and the others are all stiff).

1) Is this acceptable or is it rude asking for extra work when they are here for another job?
2) What would be an appropriate cash cost for this extra work

It makes a lot of sense for us to do this at the same time as cylinder replacement as the system will be drained and one of these ball valves is located behind the tank; but if not we will just get a local guy over when the work is complete.

DIY - It would not be a difficult job.

Why employ someone who will not do what you want ?.
Because for the job they are doing, the online boiler outfits (heatable, box, iHeat) are all £800+ cheaper our than local fitters. It also allows us to take advantage of interest free repayments which local fitters don't offer.

Sponsored Links
If you're getting new valves, avoid the ones that are £8 for ten. As I expect you have found, they are poor quality and often leak.

The Pegler ones are very much better quality. The ones with a lever are easiest to operate if you have room, but the Tee handles are neater

Because for the job they are doing, the online boiler outfits (heatable, box, iHeat) are all £800+ cheaper our than local fitters. It also allows us to take advantage of interest free repayments which local fitters don't offer.
£800+ cheaper !. Go for it .
What are you having fitted ?.

New boiler, pumps, valves and HW cylinder + MagnaCleanse Flush and filters

We've got one of these online boiler companies coming to fit a new boiler and hot water cylinder.
Did they do a heat loss survey on the property and size the boiler appropriately
or is this just a sling it and wing it type of installation?

Have the valves ready ,make them brews and get the good biscuits out.
Thanks, I will buy them. Any particular make/model?

I believe I need

1 x 15mm
1 x 22mm
2x 28mm (one located behind the cylinder)

Plus there's one that is 15mm (looks like the top of a garden tap, not sure on name!) with I may as well replace for peace of mind...

Attachments

• IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 19

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back