Compression fit joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best jointing compound to use on compression fit's.
Is liquid PTFE as good as any or is one that dose not fully cure a safer option.

Dave

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have to use anything. The olive makes the seal when it compresses, however, don't tighten the joint too much or you'll just flatten it.

I was always lead to belive it was good practise to prevent weeping around the olive.

Dave

Olives make you cry? Not very keen on them myself either ;)

Sponsored Links
It's onions that make you cry. Wouldn't recommend any jointing compound for onions, just cook them. They're all right afterwards.

Wouldn't boss green/white be the best option. That would fill any small gaps but still allow the olive to compress as it would just squeeze it out the way. Anything solid like ptfe tape would make a gap and it's the olive that should be compressing.

as mentioned should not need any, however just a small amount of jet blue helps (plumb centres own i believe)

In an ideal world you wouldn't need anything. But if the pipe had an old olive you removed, the capnut didn't come with the fitting, you can't get the recommended amount of turn on the nut before things get difficult (even if you DO know what the book says), or the whole fitting quality is poor, then some sort of compound makes a sucessful joint more likely.

Liquid PTFE's don't set hard (that I've seen) whereas oil based things like Boss White do eventually. PTFE tape on the olive seems to work - it squashes to nothing. Jet Blue seems to be better than many goo's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back