compression joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to use compression couplers with my shower project. I have used them before but noticed on one web site that you should use plumbing tape over the olive after the first fitting and one complete turn of the nut. Advising that to make the connection perfectly watertight the joint should be unscrewed again putting aprox 8 turns of the plumbing tape over the olive, then reassemble and finish. Is this good advice?
Rgds
tinpan

Sponsored Links
>watertight the joint should be unscrewed again putting aprox 8 turns of the plumbing tape over the olive

never done it yet, and never had any leak.
but i always use some jointing compound.

i always find you only get a leak if olive is damaged, over tight, not tight enough or pipe damaged

Gday. hi-spec. Where do you apply the jointing compound? Is it to the olive or the nut threads??
Rgds
tinpan.

put abit on your finger and just smear it around in the nut so when you push the nut to the fitting it will cover the olive anyway.

Sponsored Links
The actual seal is made by the olive, so no good putting stuff on the threads. Most joints don't need anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back