compression joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Help needed with compression joints, im having trouble with leaks .... :evil:

new joints with new olives and im still getting drips from the joints & i dont think its possible to tighten them any more, any ideas?
Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
bishbosh77 said:
Hi
Help needed with compression joints, im having trouble with leaks .... :evil:

new joints with new olives and im still getting drips from the joints & i dont think its possible to tighten them any more, any ideas?
Cheers
Richard

Mebbe you never pushed the pipes fully home before tightening the joints :?:

Are you using qualpex and if so have you used plastic inserts?

Maybe you haven't used a jointing compound on the olive :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Usually the olives are brass, but I found copper olives are easier to work because the material is softer.
Also overtightening can cause leaks, so I tend to under tighten initially and then tighten enough to stop any leaks if any exist
Best thing for existing leaks is to release compression nut and use PTFE tape or jointing compound.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MANDATE said:
Best thing for existing leaks is to release compression nut and use PTFE tape or jointing compound.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If using a conex or compression fitting the best thing with a leak is to remove the fitting & fit properly ;)

Paulfitzg said:
Are you using qualpex and if so have you used plastic inserts?

u are on the money, if he has done it as he said on copper no leaks, I never paste or ptfe a compression on copper and can't remeber the last leak without operator error as the cause.

A m8 who works on ships looked at the paste we use, and said if u brought that on board ship it would be thrown over the side.

New fitting and olive new pipe no kinks dents or blemishes, a tool that u onl have to move in one dorection and don't have to grip at the same time, so senseitivity in what u are doing = water tight joint.

have to agree :oops: spent years slavishly pasting joints...........saw the forum .......stopped doing it ......no leaks :rolleyes: all that time and smelly fingers wasted :eek:

Must say That i have never used PTFE or any thing on compression, it leaks tighten it. it still leaks do it again.

mind you I dont have miss hawk white and hemp on barrel

loved that smelll

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back