computer points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am removing a counter in a shop. There are various compuetr points linked back to a main panel. I have never removed pc points before and was wondering if there are problems associated with doing so?

cheers

Sponsored Links
treat as you would a telphone extension, woith thicker cable. Disconnect both ends, and pull!

Sponsored Links
so the end at the panel needs to be disconnected then? And label the end at the socket and recoonect?
And what happens if the end at the panel is not removed?

cheers

mackeral said:
I have never removed pc points before and was wondering if there are problems associated with doing so?

cheers

cut the wrong cable at the main panel and your ****ed... otherwise, just cut the ends off and rip it out

when you say 'remove' do you mean remove, and then re-install for use somwhere else, or remove and throw away, as no longer required.
If the latter then as I said, make dead and remove!

If you meant re-locate then its a bit more involved, cat 5 cables ( this assumes its 10 base T- T for "twisted pairs" inside like 'phone cable, and connectors like an 8 pin version of a 'phone connector at the end) this cable should not really be spliced, but renewed as a length, or joined with the proper connectors. If its coax (10 base 2, as alluded by BAS) then the daisy chain is coax from computer to computer, and the line should not be broken, but coax connectors can be used to join or extend it, or skip out where a computer has ben removed.
What exactly are you needing to do, and what sort of network connectors are they...
sorry for earlier flippance.

mapj1 said:
sorry for earlier flippance.
Likewise - given the description of cables running back to a (patch) panel it was never likely to be anything other than twisted pair.

Mackeral - the most important question you need to get answered is "is the network still in use?". If it is then delving into the nest of cables and IDC connections at the back of a patch panel is to be avoided - the chances of accidentally disconnecting something that's needed are too great. If it is in use, have someone who is responsible for the network unplug the ports you are being asked to remove, and find out what they want you to do with them, e.g. leave dangling, cut off, coil up and stick under floor/in ceiling.

If it's not in use, e.g. the place is empty, and you're sure that nobody is expecting to find a cabling infrastructure in place when they move in, then just do whatever is most convenient for you. I can't see what there is to be gained from your POV by disconnecting the cable back at the patch panel and pulling it out - it has no re-use potential or value.

thanks guys.

the plan is to disconnect and relocate the pc points. as suggested the customer will remove the necessary points from the patch panel. Each pc point needs diconnected and removed and then refiited. Each point may also nedd extending. I am concerned as it is something that i have not done before - it was sprung on me at the last minute and i want to try and cover myself...

thanks again

cat5 network cable is basically like phones but with a few extra things to think about

make sure you have a suitable punchdown tool for the sockets they are using unless you wan't to waste lots of time with small screwdrivers

make sure you don't split pairs

try to avoid joining cable if you must do it try to keep the untwisted length as short as possible

I can't believe they are asking you to do it. I know it's not rocket science, but no disrespect - if you've not done it before I wouldn't want you practicing on my network. Not because you're bound to screw up, but the hassles and business impact if you do....

Anyway - check what sort of punch-down tool you need, as there are different ones.

As for extending cables - is replacement not an option?

Also, I wonder what they plan to do about testing the cables (e.g. TDR) when you've done?

b-a-s: I'm with you here. Unless Mackeral is experienced in network cabling, better not to get involved unless the job is ONLY removal - which it seems it isn't - and even then there's a risk.
The shop needs to know better - they'll need to involve whoever supports the network and PCs in the change and in making sure the PCs work OK when the job is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back